How Does a Major in the Army Lose It?

+1 we need to understand and not just point a finger. This will continue to happen if we cant understand. My question is this, he was not drafted. He volunteered to join so why all the anger over getting deployed? Isnt this something people are told is a requirement when joining??

Troops are killing each other over in Iraq...we just dont hear about it. And they are just normal americans of diverse cultures...

I understand pervectly,radical muslim murders innocent non muslims.(infidels) thats what they do. thats what they belive, you know 99 virgins for killing infidels, I get it, dont you?

I think the Army should start preparing for several wrongful death suits. They are more than culpable. They should have put a warning sign on that guy.

i suggest as millitary will be swiftly holding court.. and i do belive they still impose death penalty.. first we hand a m-4 loaded with rubber bullets to every family member and let them have a whack at him before finnaly (mercifully?) finnish his sentence. (yes he still deserves his day in court...hope that they will not need DNA evidence to prove this one lol)

I am sure that many of our boys at Normandy were screaming religious phrases. They knew they were going to die. Same with Hasan.

Not a great comparison IMO. I do agree that race and religion should have no part in the investigation or criminal / military trial of this individual.

I have not kept up with the news on this, but everyone should realize that our media today don't always deal in facts but more so in speculation and ad sales.

My prayers and thoughts are with the families and victims.

I think the Army should start preparing for several wrongful death suits. They are more than culpable. They should have put a warning sign on that guy.

This ain't Boston Legal - can't take the Army to court... just like congress or any other part of the gov't... they have an special suits of invulnerability.

Please leave religion out of this. Just because he is Muslim does not make him Taliban. Not every Greman was a Nazi. Look at all of the Japanese we locked up during WWII in concentration camps.

Now if he was a christian would this have been a war of Christianity. I don't think so. If he was white and had a good American name Like ??? John Quincy Adams would we be bashing him because of his name, skin color or religion? I don't think so.

Everyone breaks at some point. Some very easily, others about average and then you have people who can take a lot of pain and punishment before breaking.

Maybe before we judge him, we should learn all the facts and not just what the media is saying. We know very little about him and what happened. DO NOT JUDGE based on color, religion, sexual orientation, or the kind of music someone likes. If you do you are RACISTS and the PROBLEM.

Light me up and flame the heck out of me. I don't care. I fought for the freedom of speech so I am going to use it just like you do.

stereotypes come from somewhere, i'm just saying...

I can understand that feeling and tend to agree with it at times. During WWII we locked up every and I mean EVERY japanese on US soil. even ones in the military and threw them in Concentration camps. Maybe we should do the same with the Muslims until this war is over?

I am also not saying that he was NOT a radical, but those words started flying before anyone knew anything but his name. That is judging based on Racist beliefs. Let the authorities do there job and release the facts then we can judge. That is what this country is based on. Just because he is Muslim and probably whacked in the head does not make him Guilty automaticly.

Besides you have to whacked in the head to be a Pshyc. If you weren't you could never relate to your patients.:laugh::rulez:

And 1 more thing. IF, all of these allegations are true about his comments and beliefs then the Army is also very much at fault. I heard a story that he wanted out and tried numerous times to get out and the Army said no. He even offered to reimburse the government for his schooling and what not.
So if your going to blame this on Radical Muslim beliefs then blame the Army also for this.

about the concentration camps. i think it was messed up then, as the japanese didn't have a habit (that i know of) of killing innocent people and blowing themselves up to make a point. however, perhaps it would be a prudent measure to take, seeing as they (radical muslims in general) seem to be pretty sneaky. they'll be normal for years, and some towel head in a cave throws the switch, and all of a sudden we have a suicide bomber or shooter or some nonsense going on. i can't talk about this kind of stuff, i tend to get a bit out of hand, so i'm out.

I think one of the problems is the way armed forces marketing has been done over the last 20 years. We've pushed the "Go in the Military, get an education, see the world" message that a very fundamental point has been lost: The ultimate job description in the armed forces is to wage war and kill the enemy, whoever that enemy is defined to be. It will not be pretty. It will not make you feel warm and fuzzy. You will have to do things that you would never want to do ever again in your life. And you will see things that will haunt you for the rest of your life. There is no sanitized, feel-good warfare. This isn't "Stripes".

I believe there are a lot of members of the Military that have been in for 10 years (or right after the Gulf War) or longer that never have fully considered what armed conflict is. They were expecting exotic ports-of-call and a free ride to the college of their choice and got a shooting war with all of the evil associated with it.

Then you become "conflicted". Conflicted has no place on the battlefield.
Count the costs of your actions and adjust your mindset accordingly.

It's like people that join the police force because they just want to become a detective like on TV. They never picture themselves on the street getting their hands dirty. Reality comes as a real shock to the system.

Have you ever been in the military? Well when I joined the Army in 93, all through basic training it was instilled into me that I may have to face an enemy at some point and either shoot to kill or risk the chance of getting killed myself.
I think everyone who joins the military full well knows what in gods name they are doing, whether they chose to use some lame ARSE excuse when it doesnt turn out to be what they expected that is an individual issue, not a problem with how the Military markets itself. JM2cnts

Not a great comparison IMO. I do agree that race and religion should have no part in the investigation or criminal / military trial of this individual.

I have not kept up with the news on this, but everyone should realize that our media today don't always deal in facts but more so in speculation and ad sales.

My prayers and thoughts are with the families and victims.

Well stated. The media is a business, they are going to report and make reports that sells the air time. Who wants to hear the boring humdrum crap? NO ONE! so lets juice it up and everyone will flock to their TV's at 5:50 for the 6 o'clock news!!!

I could care less if the shooter was blue, black, neon green, or magenta....

This man was an officer in the United States Army. He signed up to defend his country. If he had a problem with deploying to defend his country, he should have considered that before raising his right hand. It disgusts me that officers (a very very small majority of course) join to milk the military in order to attain a college degree then decide to oppose to war.

Yea the man snapped. When most people snap, they eat a bottle of pills or shoot themselves, not go out and try to take a bunch of people with them.

Just angers me to see a Major, who has been sitting behind a desk his entire career, freak out over a deployment where he'll be sitting behind a desk again. He's a shrink, it's not like he's going to be kicking in doors. How many thousands of soldiers have gone to Iraq and done real work and been perfectly fine?

Most importantly, prayers for all those who lost their lives and those injured.

Have you ever been in the military? Well when I joined the Army in 93, all through basic training it was instilled into me that I may have to face an enemy at some point and either shoot to kill or risk the chance of getting killed myself.
I think everyone who joins the military full well knows what in gods name they are doing, whether they chose to use some lame ARSE excuse when it doesnt turn out to be what they expected that is an individual issue, not a problem with how the Military markets itself. JM2cnts

Yes they may know, but many play the odds that it's not going to happen, then when the time comes they find some way to try and get out of it. I know a girl who is about to retire and openly admits getting pregnant to get out of a deployment because she just wants to get her retirement. But in his defense, the military does push education and skill training without mention of much else. It is this marketing that gets many, not all, to join.

Well here's my problem w/ that. He was wearing an all white outfit,(same as the suicide bombers wear in the Middle East), was shouting words in Arabic that are directly related to a religious belief. the fact that he is Muslim makes it a very important piece of the puzzle. From an investigators viewpoint... Should he be looked at immediately as a radical Muslim? YES! Because he took two weapons and went out to intentionally murder people. Does this automatically link him to the Taliban or a terrorist group? No. But it does bring to light that he may just have been a religious fanatic.
The difference between your statement that "everyone cracks" and may be of different religions doesn't hold water w/ me. Because if a regular, good Muslim had cracked, I believe they may just take their own life and go out alone.

As far as waiting for the facts and not listening to the media...well unless you have another resource for us to get information....the media is all we have. So how I'm going to collect facts from anyone other then them?
Very well said.:whistle:

Back