How Do You Spot an Ex-Track Bike ???

I'm interested in buying a used bike to become a hobby/track bike. There are lots of bikes for sale with low miles. I would like to find one that someone bought and decided it was too uncomfortable or expensive to keep.

But with the talk on here about running it with generic fairing and then slapping the factory fairing back on it to sell, I am concerned about unknowingly buying a bike that someone else may have raced or abused.

What are some things I should look for ? ???

Guess your thread got jacked!

Here are some better pictures. After a spirited run through Hellbender, we all stopped at the CROT to take a break, bs, and look at other bikes. BrendanP and WarbirdII took off back up Hellbender and BrendanP came into the corner a little hot and the bike low-sided sliding straight off the road and landing in the creek. It was amazing that it made it all the way down without contacting anything except the water. It was presumed that the tires had not had enough time to heat up after we had all been sitting at the CROT thus loosing traction. Fortunately, BrendanP was just slightly bruised up. We zip tied his plastics back together, drained the water / oil and refilled it twice. The bike started right back up and it has ran fine ever since.

There was no lowside. Brendan barely started to tip in then stood the bike straight up and ran off the corner, lost traction on the grass some 20 feet off the pavement and fell down. Brendan's story was he lost traction due to cold tires!

Last edited:
There are alot of track bikes that have less miles on them than those used as a daily rider. On top of this, track bikes if cared for properly, have their fluids changed more frequently.

As Tufbusa said, "a fully functional race bike can many times be purchased for much less money than a clean street bike and it already has all the fun stuff on it"!

+1

good place to find a used race/track bike WERA Motorcycle Roadracing

i would rather have a well cared for racer......than a bike that was ridden around by the locals as bouce the thing off the rev limiter at bike nights to get attention.

My first racer was 600cc superbike spec racer, the team was was moving to Open class. For the price I could not have bought a stock 600cc bike....much less less the shock or modded forks. I also got a "logbook" with suspension setups and gearing for all the local tracks, plus spares and two sets of tires.

They even went to the track, helped with initial supsension setup.....it was awesome, knowing that my bike was setup right and all I had to was ride.

there are lots of local club racers that are selling good bikes.

What have we definitively learned from these post, whatever bike you buy make sure it's not Aquamans bike.. :poke: :laugh:

Back