How do you push caliper back

NearDeath

Donating Member
Registered
All,

The service manual doesn't even state to push the calipers back during pad replacement, but I have seen on this board where this could cause excessive pad wear.

On my truck, I usually just take the caliper housing off and then squeeze it back in with the old pad on to avoid damage.

Anyway, how do you push the calipers back on the Busa without taking the housing off? Looking for a quick way to do it and avoid damage to the rotors and caliper.???

Cloud

<!--EDIT|Cloud9
Reason for Edit: None given...|1085097265 -->

with the old pads still in, use a screwdriver to pry them apart (the calilpers back in).

if you need any help, let me know, i have the tools to push the calipers if you would like to borrow it. but you can also use screwdriver like the other guys said. just pm me.

Thanks all. I will give the screwdriver thing a shot first and see how it goes...

be back shortly...

screwdriver did the trick on the front brakes, but I can't get it to quite work on the back brakes.

I was wrenching on it pretty hard and I don't think it even budges a little bit... Any other quick fix ideas on the back?

If not, I may take you up on your offer badazzbus.

Cloud

The oh screw driver trick worked for me on the rear, haven,t had to replace the front yet, 10,500mi, and still going.
smile.gif

anyone give a description on exactly how you used the screw driver in the back? I have the caliper off now, so I have plenty of room to work with...

I tried putting the brake pad on one side of the caliper and then squeezing it close with a plumbing wrench... it didn't move.

If anyone has any other ideas, I will give it a shot, otherwise, I may just buy a clamp tomorrow and try to clamp it shut.

Not sure why it is so much more difficult then the front. The front popped back in with very little effort. Could there be something else to this?

Cloud

it shouldn't be that hard, but sometimes if the caliper is siezed it will be hard to push it back in, just put your both pads back in the caliper & try with a longer screw driver so you can get a good grip.

well...

I bought a 4" C-clamp today and ended up bending the shaft trying to push the calipers back in... and again it doesn't look like it budged. I even used an extension rod on teh c-clamp to get penty of leverage. I got plenty of leverage alright... just enough to bend the c-clamp handle...

What to do... what to do... any other ideas?

Cloud

Geez. Sounds like your cylinder may be seized in which case nothing will make it move and you will have to replace the whole caliper. Theoretically if it gets hot enough it can actually gall or "spot weld" to the cylinder wall - basically welds the piston in a set position. But if the piston moves when you squeeze the lever then obviously it is not seized, just stuborn and/or has some foriegn matter preventing it from being retracted fully. If this is the case you may have to take the whole thing apart and clean it, put it back together and replace the fluid, bleed it, etc.

Remember the golden mecahic's rule; if you have to force it, something is wrong.

got the piston back in the caliper back boys and girls...  
biggrin.gif

Had to take the caliper completely off and then I used a 2" chissel... I put the long 2" chissel through the openings and on top of the caliper and I put the housing on a shirt to not damage it...

With all my weight, I pushed down on both sides of the chissel and it went back in...

Thanks for all the help... time to get the bike back together so I can ride it today...  
biggrin.gif

<!--EDIT|Cloud9
Reason for Edit: None given...|1085160151 -->

biggrin.gif

Cloud, did you take the time to clean it so it hopefully won't stick on you like that again?

got the piston back in the caliper back boys and girls...  
biggrin.gif

Had to take the caliper completely off and then I used a 2" chissel... I put the long 2" chissel through the openings and on top of the caliper and I put the housing on a shirt to not damage it...

With all my weight, I pushed down on both sides of the chissel and it went back in...

Thanks for all the help... time to get the bike back together so I can ride it today...  
biggrin.gif
Hey Cloud9,

Glad everything worked out for ya dude. Next time they are closed up like that, try opening the bleeder valve a little first. If it's not seized this will usually take just enough pressure off of the piston where it can be pushed in easily. If you have a bike stand then you can do the rear brakes while caliper is still attached to the bike, but the front ones will have to be dismounted from their respective mounts. Having the front wheel off also makes it super easy.

Brian

biggrin.gif

yea, I did open the bleeder valve when I was attempting to push the pistons back in while it was on the bike, but I just couldn't do it...

What are the symptons of a seized caliper?

Nope, I didn't clean it before I put it back on... I didn't want to take the caliper apart and be without the bike for another day or so. This is my first time doing this, so it will take me extra time to figure it all out... Anyway, I didn't want to open up that can of worms unless I absoltely had too. I did wipe it down though...
laugh.gif

Back