How big of a job is

BusaBret

Almost......
Donating Member
Registered
Well my fork seals are leaking. It is not very bad right now but I know they will only get worse. How big of an undertaking is this? I have never pulled the forks on any bike I have had.
I called the local shop here and seals are $30. If I take them the forks only it will be $112 to replace. If I take them the bike it will be $177 to pull the forks , replace seals and reinstall forks.
While at it I also thought this would be the perfect time to respring them. Any recommendations?

I'm about to need to do the same thing...my left one is starting to leak more....I need help on this issue to...so a free
bump.gif

I had John (Gixerhp) do my forks... no seals were leaking but I wanted springs and valves put in and just did not want to try and do this without the right tools... New Gold Valve kits, Racetech springs, seals and oil all <$400

Not sure he can still do them this cheap (parts prices) but might be worth a PM... (busa springs are pretty soft)

If you're going to respring them, pull them and send them out. The company that resprings will probably throw seals in for free.

The hardest part about the seal replacement is compressing to get the nut off. (see link above). But it wasn't too bad, and it's fun to do with a buddy or two. First one took us about an hr, with goofing of and being careful. Second one took 15 minutes. This was with the forks out of the bike.

i was all set to do mine today but buddy that was gonna help me said he watched youtube video on busa fork seal replacement and ya need a couple special tools, is this true? PLZ HELP NEED BIKE BACK ASAP
Posted via Mobile Device

The only special tool needed is a LOOOOONG 8mm hex wrench attached to a 3/8 socket. You can buy one at sear or harbor freight. You'll need a measuring cup to measure the fresh oil. Other than that, you'll need a couple sockets and a decent size flat screw driver and you are on your way.

Be very careful when prying out the old seal as to not scratch the inside of the tube where the seal seats.

Once you do it once, you'll see just how simple it really is. Find yourself a buddy that has some experience for the first timer is best.

Back