Holley Hp Stand Alone

Quiksilver

Registered
2002 Turbo stock motor with .080 spacer. Just tossing around ideas and while searching I came across the holley hp ecu. Has anyone used this setup on the hayabusa? Will the factory gauges work with it?

I am no expert but i have searched a lot for a good stand alone ecu and i have heard very good words for this ecu
especially when it comes to auto tuning.
Someone here (i can't remember who exactly out of a group of 3-4) which i consider very knowledgeable told me that the holley closed loop fueling is so fast that it is almost impossible to burn the engine.
About the instrument cluster i was told that it won't drive it completely.
In any case wait for more answers for better informed people.
Chris

I've heard the opposite.... If you go on PsychoBike forum there's a few threads on it where guys bought em and had severe issues with them. There was a ton of them a while back for sale in the classifieds. Guys bought em thinking they would save a few $$$ vs buying a motec but eventually got frustrated and gave up sold em and bought a Motec.

There was a tuner or 2 who knew how to get it to work properly but that's about it. Almost everybody who posted about it said better off going with Motec. You save $$$ in the long run vs saving money upfront then having to pay more later with the Holley.

I am no expert but i have searched a lot for a good stand alone ecu and i have heard very good words for this ecu
especially when it comes to auto tuning.
Someone here (i can't remember who exactly out of a group of 3-4) which i consider very knowledgeable told me that the holley closed loop fueling is so fast that it is almost impossible to burn the engine.
About the instrument cluster i was told that it won't drive it completely.
In any case wait for more answers for better informed people.
Chris

I have seen great reviews on this unit also, mostly for la engines, but none the less good reviews. It seems stupid simple to use from what I've seen and read.

I've heard the opposite.... If you go on PsychoBike forum there's a few threads on it where guys bought em and had severe issues with them. There was a ton of them a while back for sale in the classifieds. Guys bought em thinking they would save a few $$$ vs buying a motec but eventually got frustrated and gave up sold em and bought a Motec.

There was a tuner or 2 who knew how to get it to work properly but that's about it. Almost everybody who posted about it said better off going with Motec. You save $$$ in the long run vs saving money upfront then having to pay more later with the Holley.

In my search I did come across a few for sale. I don't remember anyone stating the problems they had. Do you know some of the problems they were having? I could see people having trouble as it is not plug and play like the motec and does require some user input. I've came across the motec and seems it is a bit advanced for the everyday diy'er.

In my search I did come across a few for sale. I don't remember anyone stating the problems they had. Do you know some of the problems they were having? I could see people having trouble as it is not plug and play like the motec and does require some user input. I've came across the motec and seems it is a bit advanced for the everyday diy'er.

It's been a while since I've seen those threads. You might have to go digging thru PsychoBike to find out about the specifics but I know quite a few people ran into problems with the unit. I remember when they 1st came out and people were adapting it to bikes everybody was raving on the price etc. but little bye little people were posting questions and issues etc etc then you seen those same people posting it 4 sale in the classifieds....

No gauges will not work. The only standalone that has a harness that will supposedly adapt well is the AEM infinity. I have very little feedback on it but Mike Belo from West Palm has installed and set up a few. Not sure how they did over time. I will ask Mike how and post back his response. Its been about 6 months now.

We have used the Holley & still do. It will not do what a Motec will do, but then it is not Motec money & the boost control system on the Holley while not AMS2000 standard is way better than the Motec's so you also save a bunch there on boost control.

If you buy the 7" dash with it & get through the bug bears it can be good but be prepared to have gremlins or go to someone who has experience with it. Like every stand alone its all about learning it.

Positives.... Simple to use by end user, good boost control, good lambda control, best option for the price.

Downsides .... Avoid the 5" touchscreen, Auto lambda is great until your bike has an issue then it sends your fuel map all over the damn place, so don't rely on it when you tune. Tech support is arduous because you wait for 40 to 50 minutes with Holley pulling your teeth out especially from England! Also it does not have a shift kill function which is the biggest issue but you can just fit a kill box to get round that.

Bottom line .....Go to someone that has experience with it & it will be ok

Hope that helps

Last edited:
It looks like the holley with a harness and display is around $3k. I'm not certain that I would be willing to dish that out in that direction with a stock motor that is boosted and unclear why you think you need that. You aren't even needing secondary injectors with your stock motor and you are running an fmu or no?

I have a ton of experience with Holley efi, and even run one on my big single turbo mustang.

The self learn is a big part of how the Holley operates and can be a blessing or a curse of you don't know what you're doing with it. Once it's set up properly, you literally have to try to melt your engine down, and that's even before setting up all the safety trims and all.

I'm sure the hefi will run the stock dash, it's just a matter of configuring. However with the new 7.5" screen, it has a separate I/O harness to use so you can set up your turn signal indicators, high beam, and even fuel level.

I'd stay far away from the infinity system. It COULD be an awesome stand alone, but I feel that they released it before figuring it out fully. We because of infinity we essentially had 8 months of aem doing r&d on my dime. Only to find out they sent me 3 bad ecus, and each one messed up in its own unique way. Never again.

It looks like the holley with a harness and display is around $3k. I'm not certain that I would be willing to dish that out in that direction with a stock motor that is boosted and unclear why you think you need that. You aren't even needing secondary injectors with your stock motor and you are running an fmu or no?

I am running a fmu. I probably don't need a stand alone at the moment but At some point in the future I probably will. It will be some time before I NEED any sort of secondary controller or stand alone. It seems that the Holley is a capable unit with a person that knows is their way around the system.

I have a ton of experience with Holley efi, and even run one on my big single turbo mustang.

The self learn is a big part of how the Holley operates and can be a blessing or a curse of you don't know what you're doing with it. Once it's set up properly, you literally have to try to melt your engine down, and that's even before setting up all the safety trims and all.

I'm sure the hefi will run the stock dash, it's just a matter of configuring. However with the new 7.5" screen, it has a separate I/O harness to use so you can set up your turn signal indicators, high beam, and even fuel level.

I'd stay far away from the infinity system. It COULD be an awesome stand alone, but I feel that they released it before figuring it out fully. We because of infinity we essentially had 8 months of aem doing r&d on my dime. Only to find out they sent me 3 bad ecus, and each one messed up in its own unique way. Never again.

Thanks for the reply Rob. The Holley seems to have a lot of features and seems a lot of people use these in automotive applications with great results. For me, having some sort of dash is a must. The dash looks trick, I've heard some actually run tablets to display the gauges and other information?

I am putting a standalone on a bike at the moment and want basic functions on a dash, original on this bike is can communication so pretty much nothing would work without the correct protocol
So brought an Acewell 6654 which is a current motorcycle style , wide range of styles and does what i need without costing a lot

I am running a fmu. I probably don't need a stand alone at the moment but At some point in the future I probably will. It will be some time before I NEED any sort of secondary controller or stand alone. It seems that the Holley is a capable unit with a person that knows is their way around the system.
Understood. I also would like to have a tuner capable with a holley nearby that would be able to handle what my PC5 (primaries, its a gen 1 or I wouldn't bother), microtech for SFI, and AMS1k. I just don't want to invest $3k in it. I don't want to invest $2k in it. I just bought a brand new AMS after the older one shorted primary channel. Now my dad and his GN is probably going to go with the Holley. I believe he will have a much easier time finding someone within several hours distance to tune where as getting a turbo bike tune, a REAL turbo bike tune and not some bullshit run through (regardless of reputation, I found it means nothing really, ask me how I know), along with a standalone that not everyone is familiar with may mean travelling several states away.

Thanks for the reply Rob. The Holley seems to have a lot of features and seems a lot of people use these in automotive applications with great results. For me, having some sort of dash is a must. The dash looks trick, I've heard some actually run tablets to display the gauges and other information?

Yes the ms3 and gold boxes you can use a android table or phone.

Back