Hiway 1 is closed S of Big Sur

WuzzaCBXRider

Donating Member
Registered
And will be for quite some time, maybe not until 2022! Anywhere north of Ragged PT. all the way to Carmel is a great ride but the majority of hiway 1 begins @ Mill Valley just N of the GG bridge.
402660CD-56FB-4F5D-8D89-5CDC65FB900C.png

@WuzzaCBXRider There isn't, is there??

It depends on just where the break is. I haven’t seen an overview map of the exact location. Nacimiento Rd. (N Rd) @ hiway 1 is just a few miles south of Lucia. The break might be north of there. From the east, N Rd is the only access road between 101 and 1 in that area. It goes thru Fort Hunter Liggett. (Cross the big green bridge) :D If the break is south of there, a rider could take 101 to 1 via N Rd and head north. If the break is north of Lucia, closer to the Big Sur area, a N Rd rider could take 1 from the south to N Rd and head east over N Rd to 101 and then north to Carmel Rd or any road really, that heads back towards the coast around the Laguna Seca/Salinas area to Carmel and Monterey.

The washout is 30 miles south of Monterey and 8 miles north of Lucia.

You can still ride around it via Carmel Valley Rd + Nacimiento Rd and then south. Officially Highway 1 Big Sur is closed 7 miles north of Lucia. You can always check the CalTrans website for updates. It'll take at least a year to fix this one.

DSC01479.jpg

That's a serious washout...

yep

and again mom nature shows us how mighty she can be
and what damage simple water can cause

we had that terrible issue 2 days before here in germany by an entirely washed away road bridge
a car and a large truck with a trailer fell into the hole that had formed - both drivers were seriously injured

yep

and again mom nature shows us how mighty she can be
and what damage simple water can cause

we had that terrible issue 2 days before here in germany by an entirely washed away road bridge
a car and a large truck with a trailer fell into the hole that had formed - both drivers were seriously injured
The power of nature is pretty much unbeatable...

I've been to floods, ice storms, wild fires, aftermath of a Tsunami and each of them are proof nature will win each and every time.

The ice storm was incredible, I saw vehicles where the weight of the ice collapsed the suspension and flattened the tires....

Back