HIGH Octane Sunoco fuel in 5 gallon cans

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
I saw this at the perf shop today and was wondering about it.
Have seen it before and believe that the friends I had in TN who drag raced used it in their bikes.
Just curious about it and a slightly modded stock engine street bike ?
I hear you guys talk about MR9 and wonder how does this compare ?

They had 3 octanes...110-112-116
5 gallon can for 50 bucks I think he said ?

Anybody ....
Opinions
Conjecture
Experience ?

sunoco fuel 001.jpg

sunoco fuel 002.jpg

same stuff you buy at the track
if you have a stock motor <not built up race motor> you will lose hp with this stuff
but it sure smells good coming out of the bike and burns hotter and cleaner

Yes now that you say that I do remember the sweet smell in burn out box when my friend used to do his ZX11.
Just curious.
I figure if 93 is usual prem I put in this would not be for me.

There is a Sunoco here locally that sells 102 or 104 not sure ?
Any opinion on this ?

it will make a diff , not much but a couple hp,

alot of guys have the bike tuned with pump gas but also with race fuel! then you would gain alittle more hp

but simple yes you will get a couple hp by running it , is it cost effective NO ! 50 BUCKS for 2-3 hp , i can find better things to spend my money on!

Wasnt thinking about putting it in , just curious.

The 102 or 104 I may like to try .
It comes from a pump at the station is only like 10-20 cents more a gallon than premium.

You can run it,, but the bike needs to be tuned for it!
So basically, you would need a second map for the race fuel, and a map for pump gas!

So with that said, you would also need the following, if you where going to swap back and fourth!
1, Powercommander
2, PC Hub
3, PC Lcd screen

Wasnt thinking about putting it in , just curious.

The 102 or 104 I may like to try .
It comes from a pump at the station is only like 10-20 cents more a gallon than premium.
Again your bike wont run correctly without a proper map, the fuel wont burn correctly!

More octane does not make more horsepower. In a stock or slightly modified busa, most racing fuels will make the same or less horsepower than pump gas.

You have to get into exotic oxygenated fuels like U4 and MR9 to get increases in power. With exotics like MR9, you have to flush the fuel system after use to prevent damage.

Here is a dyno chart on my bike. I am running 13.2:1 actual compression (compared to advertised numbers) One run is with Sunoco unleaded 260 GT +, the other with 91 octane pump gas.

Specs on 260 GT+ Sunoco 260 GT Plus - Unleaded Race Fuels
The bike was tuned with the 104 octane 260 GT + and it made .5 hp less at peak than running 91 octane pump gas. It made 2-3 hp less in some places. GT 260 + is very similar to pump gas so the tune was close but regardless the pump gas still made more.
Heavily oxygenated exotics will make more power, but at a high cost in fuel ~$20 gallon, high maintenance cost, and an higher risk of exposure to carcinogens.

110979-racing-fuel-dyno1.jpg

In a street bike don't ever use oxygenated gas like MR9. It is not worth the work involved. Extra octane will not give more HP by itself, BUT, it is made for higher compression engines where 93 octane will not work. This allows you to make the hp without detonation.

There are power adders that work, (Klotz Nitro Additive) but you have to tune for them and run 118 octane gasoline (VP C16). It is very difficult to go between regular gasoline and exotic mixes. Plus the exotic mixes have to be run outdoors at all times as they are toxic like Nitromethane. They are safe if properly handled, but many guys will run an engine in a garage which is no good!

In a street bike don't ever use oxygenated gas like MR9. It is not worth the work involved. Extra octane will not give more HP by itself, BUT, it is made for higher compression engines where 93 octane will not work. This allows you to make the hp without detonation.

There are power adders that work, (Klotz Nitro Additive) but you have to tune for them and run 118 octane gasoline (VP C16). It is very difficult to go between regular gasoline and exotic mixes. Plus the exotic mixes have to be run outdoors at all times as they are toxic like Nitromethane. They are safe if properly handled, but many guys will run an engine in a garage which is no good!
How much would you want if the Sunoco cans where empty?

Back