High compression, big motor guys, check this out!

Boosted Cycle Perf

Donating Member
Site Sponsor
Registered
Had the pleasure of experimenting a bit on a customers bike. While I didn't build the engine for the guy, he first brought the bike to me for a transmission, and a tune.

While I can't get in to specifics of exact HP, and engine size due to him being a grudge racer, he did allow me to share a little info about the bike.

It's over 1500cc's, and 14.5:1 compression. Originally I tuned the bike on C16, and it did well. However he was still looking for more power without nitrous, or turbo, we opted to try it on e85.

We used Ignite brand E85 from the can, upgraded to 60lb injectors as it was maxing out the s2k injectors already. Then converted it to an external pump, returning style system with an areomotive regulator, and Rcc billet rail, and tuned via ecu editor.

We were pleasantly surprised to find out it gained 12whp and 3ft/lbs of torque! That's a 7% increase with just a fuel change. (essentially) I was also surprised to find out that after peak torque, it liked a fatter afr then expected, and was happy with stock timing values which was also surprising. It lost 5 hp if I added, or took away 2 degrees.

Here's the video...

https://youtu.be/gywkoqUEMPQ

So in conclusion, if you have a bike that has enough compression to command the use of race fuel, and you're looking to pick up some extra power, I highly suggest it. PLUS the added extra bonus is ignite e85 is $7.50 a gallon, vs $19 a gallon for C16. So you can make more power and save some money!

at the rate my bike drinks pump gas I can't imagine how much fuel id go thru with E85. although, I wud certainly try it if it even existed around here....:whistle: such a joke its readily available in some areas and completely unavailable in others. makes no sense.

at the rate my bike drinks pump gas I can't imagine how much fuel id go thru with E85. although, I wud certainly try it if it even existed around here....:whistle: such a joke its readily available in some areas and completely unavailable in others. makes no sense.

I can get it here in NY in a few spots , But after spending almost $800 on a E85 map that never got finished I will not go that way again . Told the shop I would run out of injector They said no , Ran out of Injector LOL . killed a fuel pump while doing it too and at $90 an hour Fk that! Plus E85 is cheep but you use twice as much

I made about 15 pulls on this bike, and I don't even think I used a half tank. I "tuned" a turbo e85 gen 1 last weekend and went through 3 tanks. However it was leaking fuel from a lose fitting in the sump. So not a good example.

E85 is weird, and is really dependent on a case by case scenerio. When my old bike was on it, I lost 5mpg. This na bike appears to be about the same. My 240sx lost 10mpg on corn, but my turbo mustang gained almost 6.

In this application, the guy was running race fuel all the time, but it also doesn't see much street time. For this guy, he was already traveling to get fuel. Now he still has to travel, to the same place, but spend less money, and make more power. It's not for everyone, but for this guy, it made complete sense.

Yep your right on it's not for everyone , I had my last tune done on CHP race fuel and not C16 , $60 for 5gl

So (12/.07)*1.07=183 I really hope a 1500cc motor is making more than that.
Maybe more like (12/.03)*1.03=412 ?

Last edited:
Not the slightest idea. I almost exclusively do turbo bikes. The guy that ownes the bike I posted almost had to beg me to do it. Sorry I couldn't be any help with that.

No worries, I think I'm gonna try to get a little help from Tommy Bolton in OKC when it's time. He just doesn't know it yet.

If I had to take a guess, probably 108/110 or something extremely close to that. Higher numbers tend to move the peak power later in the rpm range, and move peak down a touch. Given a 1441 will make plenty of torque, it won't hurt to move your power band higher in the rpm range.

That's not an official statement, just what I think it would be based on what I know on cam timing. Could be totally wrong being na tho.

Back