HID question

Cykill

Donating Member
Registered
OK, i've read conflicting things on this.

If i install a HID system do i lose the baility use the the high/low beam selector button? do i need to just keep them both on. of run just 1. Someone please help me understand this.

Thanks

What are you reading?

I've heard people are having thoughts about is the pass switch and a start up relay.

Not at all. I have HID and everything works as it should.

I think what some people may be referring to is the 'warm-up time' of HID.

When an HID bulb is fired up, it doesn't reach full intensity immediately. There's a short 'warm-up time' - maybe around 30 seconds - before the bulb reaches full intensity.

Your pass-to-flash will work, it just won't be as bright since the HID bulb will be 'cold'. (Some people will only install HID on the low beam and run a regular or yellow halogen bulb as the high beam)

well written Omar.
beerchug.gif

That used to be true in some vehicles that use a single bulb for each side. The HID did not have two filaments. The most common bulb of this type is the H4 that is used in most cruiser style bikes. The busa has two separate bulbs so this is not an issue. Now there is a Bi-Xeneon . I haven’t actually seen one but I understand it has a cover that moves to change the way the light is cast onto the roadway. Most OEM/DOT systems use a HID low beam inc combination with a Halogen high beam. The 97-03 Ford F-150 is an example of a single bulb unit. OEM is a 2 filament halogen. Sylvania make a DOT approved HID kit. It has a HID low with a halogen high beam.

One of the big problems with using an HID in the high beam is that there is a warm up time involved. It takes from 5-30 seconds to reach full brightness. On vehicles where the lights turn off the low beam, that is a big problem trying to retrofit the HID. It needs to be modified to keep the low beam on at all times.

It is a toss up using HIDs on the high side. You have to decide what works best for you. Do you want instant light or a better but much slower to full intensity light.

Thanks guy. i know i had seen in a post here a while ago someone saying they needed a seperate buttong for the igniter or something. so i just wanted some clearification on it.

Thanks

Steven

Back