HID help

hayabusa_83

Registered
hey guys..... i was out riding a few nights ago, and outta nowhere, my HID shut off.....the next morning i took off my right fairing, to check all connections, and everything is fine......i contacted mike @ xenonking and he said to check the bulb and the ballast, and then let him know.....he also told me to run a post on here, to ask the easiest way to tell which is bad....any help would be nice....driving around with this weak@$$ high beam aint doing it....thanx again....
Archetype~

the boys will save the day.
lurk.gif

Unless you have another HID kit, I don't know how you will test your bulb and ignitor. About all you can do is make sure the ballast has 12 volts. I believe the wires coming out of the ballast are 25,000 volts. Sure it's low amps but it's enough to shock the mess out of you.

Can you recall exactly what happen before everything went black ? Did you bottom out your front end (hitting a pot hole for example) ? This could have cause a couple of reason why your HID is not working. 1st check your fuse in the stock fuse box. It may possibly be a loose wire connection or exposed wire in your HID wiring shorting out your low beam fuse, or the relay may be burnt out if you're using one for a add on remote on and off toggle switch. Check the relay by adding power to it. If you dont hear it click then its dead.

Another possible reason........... the location of your HID ballaster. Did it get wet, banged up ?
If so, then your SOL. I placed mine directly in between the front turn signal and instrument cluster to avoid getting wet or working its self loose.

nah, rhythm, i was just cruisin' ive had the HID installed just over a year(outta warranty) never got wet... checked the fuse first thing, not using a relay, and check the wires...and it shows 12V....im lost now!

(hayabusa_83 @ Nov. 05 2006,14:27) nah, rhythm, i was just cruisin' ive had the HID installed just over a year(outta warranty) never got wet... checked the fuse first thing, not using a relay, and check the wires...and it shows 12V....im lost now!
Do you know anyone close to you the has the same type HID bulb ? If so try using their bulb to verify that the ballastor is still working. If it works than I would say the HID bulb wore prematurely from you starting the bike with constant power being applied to the HID (no relay).
If you noticed when starting a bike equipped with a HID light it will flicker erratically on and off which will cause premature wear to the bulb.  

If you do decide to purchase another HID bulb from Mike please install a delay timer relay or a NO or NC bosch type relay and weather proof type on and off toggle switch from Radio shack to avoid this problem again.

Tell Mike I said to give you the hook on another bulb  
tounge.gif

Just my .02

Back