Help! Turn Signal Problem, Hi Beam Blinks Instead Of Turn Signal.

lowkeyenergy

Registered
Hi guys... First post.

I was recently in a minor accident that led the bike to scrape its left side agains the ground, destroying the main wiring harness.

I replaced the harness with a used one bought on ebay. Everything connected ok. Bike runs perfectly, only problem is strange behavior from the turn signals and headlights...

The right turn signal (front + back) stays lit and does not blink, always.
The left turn signal is dark if the switch is off. If the switch is on, the left signal blinks rapidly.
The low beam does not light at all.
The hi beam, if lit, will also blink along with the left turn signal (rapidly) if the left turn signal switch is on.

I have one of those aftermarket tail light/turn signal combos with LED, which explains the rapid flashing, but not the crossover between hi beam and turn signal.

If i disconnect the front and back turn signals, and tail light, the instrument cluster nonetheless behaves the same strange way.

Please help. I have spent the last 2 weeks missing days from work so I could repair my beloved bike. Now with everything else fixed and the new fairings waiting to be installed, I can't figure out this mysterious problem.

- rocky

Man I wish I could help you. please be patient as someone much smarter than I will be along to help. welcome to the org and I hope someone can offer some suggestions shortly. Are you sure you have the right harness? All connectors were labeled or color coded as the original harness?

Man I wish I could help you. please be patient as someone much smarter than I will be along to help. welcome to the org and I hope someone can offer some suggestions shortly. Are you sure you have the right harness? All connectors were labeled or color coded as the original harness?

i think it's the right harness... my girl is 2002 and the harness is from a "2002 SUZUKI HAYABUSA H31"
what does the H31 mean? is it possible my bike is a different variant with different wiring? the ebay auction indicated that the harness was good for 99-07.

everything looks identical on the harness. the only differences i noticed are from a previous owner screwing around with the old harness. near the ECU, a toggle switch was spliced in and mounted under the tail which appears to be either a kill switch or a DIY mode select switch, but the new harness doesn't and shouldn't have that.

there is also a splice-type wire connector on one wire coming off the yellow connector that i think goes to the left handle switch. it doesn't splice to anything, and the connector doesn't seem to have cut the wire, or shorted it against anything.

i considered, and hoped that the problem might be a faulty flasher relay, so i replaced that with an LED-compatible variety off ebay. the problem is the same, although the flashing rate is a little different.

Post pics of the connector and harness please. When I rewired my 01 for hazard lights and flash to pass, I had to change a few things and it is possible that the wires were moved inside the connector.

Post pics of the connector and harness please. When I rewired my 01 for hazard lights and flash to pass, I had to change a few things and it is possible that the wires were moved inside the connector.

here is the connector i was describing :

20161202_070745.jpg

if i disconnect that yellow connector , and i've disconnected all turn signal lights and brake light and head lights ...

then on instrument cluster , left turn light is off , right turn light is on .

if i then remove the turn signal / side stand relay ... no change .

if i then disconnect the cluster , and connect the headlight harness with no headlights and only turn signal bulbs ...

then again , left side is off , right side is on .

so i guess i have a bleed somewhere between my right turn signal rail and my "on" rail ... or my low beam rail (if there is a difference) .

Last edited:
here is the wiring diagram :

Screenshot_20161202-084403.png

in the manual , there are several variants . this is the only one that matches my version of that yellow connector (on both the body side and controller) . all other variants have orange wires and mine doesn't .

i know i'm just talking to myself here but i'm hoping that if i keep updating the thread wit new info , someone will pop in and be able to spot the problem faster than i can eventually figure it out myself .

to confirm my hypothesis that my light green right turn signal is shorted with the on rail , i removed front and back turn signal bulbs , instrument cluster connector , and turn signal switch .

using a multimeter , i measured 12.7V on the light green right turn wire of the main harness .

i considered the problem might be deeper into the signaling pathway . maybe a faulty turn signal switch ? but no ... that would give me an unmutable blinking right turn light / not a solid one . right ?

i removed only the light green pin from instrument cluster connector , and from turn signal switch , and connected the headlight harness with all bulbs attached .

with ignition on , turn signal switch off , i observe that neither headlight will glow , with dimmer switch in either hi or lo position .

but ... if left turn signal is switched on , then low beam will blink if dimmer switch is in lo position , and both lights will blink if dimmer is in hight position .

left turn signal also blinks , and is blinking IN PHASE with headlights , which suggests maybe a crossover between relay (positive?) wire ... but i can't figure why there is no headlight function without blinker .

i also measured the voltage at the blinking headlights , and the polarity is correct ; not reversed , which suggests this is not a short-to-ground fault .

ok now i can hear the clue train in the distance ... next stop is me ?

is it possible that the wiring for turn signal(s) got swapped with that of the lo beam ? maybe around the fuse box ?

that would explain why the right signal was staying lit (receiving low beam current , which is alway on with ignition) , and headlight switch (to hi and lo) is receiving left signal current ?

You have me scratching my head. I can only wish you the best. Keep updating the thread , experts will be along.

key at on position...

at the fuse box:
signal fuse is hot
lo beam is 0V
hi beam is 0V

i am tempted to just cut the wires at the fuse box and swap them , but i will be heartbroken if that doesn't work .

ok new theory . that was the wrong diagram . the right one is this one , based on

a) ignition switch has a park position

b) old destroyed body side of left controller harness does have an orange wire (oops) . new one does not . so the head side of the wiring is expecting to have a passing light function , which the first diagram i posted does not .

Screenshot_20161202-120703.png

Throwing a couple thoughts out there that I would double check.

Grounds missing our weak grounds can do crazy things that don't seem to make sense.

Also don't always look at volts. A rotten wire held together with rust will show good volts but won't hold a load. Scotch locks like I see in the pics are terrible for that as I would never use one.

Sit back have a few :beerchug: when you figure it out you will have overthought it.

Good luck

well , after looking mor carefully at all the wiring diagrams in the manual , i have definitely ruled out the possibility that any of them correspond to my bike .

how do i make that smiley with a gun to his head / blowing his brains out ?

as you may have guessed from my last post , i got pissed at the world and started tearing the harness to pieces , unwrapped the entire thing , disconnected all the plugs and pulled the damn thing out of the patient .

according to murphy's law , i discovered an anomaly 95% of the way down from the end i started unwrapping at . one of the pluds has 2 loopbacks , and one of those is feexing ignition current into my turn signal , instead of wherever it is supposed to be going .

the sun went down and i have no garage , so i gathered up the entrails , patched up my corpse of a partner and went inside , where i will now be bench testing my spaghetti monster of a nervous system .

fingers crossed for an estimated 1 hour to repair connectivity , 2 to wrap , 1 to connect , 1 to verify , 2 to install HID headlights , 2 to install new fairings , and hopefully just enough time to ride off into the sunset .

20161202_180145.jpg

There is 3 different harnesses,
99 and 2k
01 and 02
03 TO 07
The main differences are all at the Yellow, main connector, and the two switch housing connectors.

From the problem that you have stated, i think you have the newest harness, with old switch housings

I am thinking along the same lines as John. When I rewired my '01 for hazards and flash to pass, I did a lot of cutting and slicing- which makes it very difficult for anyone else to try and troubleshoot without doing exactly what you had to do. Has your nose harness ever been changed?

Same as my Frankenstein bike i built, but i went newer switches to old harness, and ah to add 3 or 4 wires.
But instead of using the diagrams i was able to test the output from the dragon bike to copy!

Back