Help! my chain wont stay tight!

busapilot911

Registered
I have far exceeded the normal life expectancy of my chain (stock with 25,000 miles). I have tried adjusting it and it will tighten ( to the recommended tightness) but, becomes loose after a few miles. I can't believe that it is stretching that much. Do I have another problem that I am missing? I have a new chain coming, but, was trying to get a few more days out of it. Any help or ideas will be appreciated.

How much is it loosening? Possible that you have stripped your adjustment stem or have backed it out to far? Post pics of your rear sprocket... (include the adjustment block)

I am almost at the end of the adjustment. One hash mark left. Everything feels OK while tightening things and the adjustment block doesn't move after teh adjustments. The only thing that appears to change is the tightness of the chain. It is a pretty significant change. It goes from being 1" to 1 1/2" of play to 3" and noisy!
Side question, My axle nut was real tight and I was away from my torque wrench when I re-tightened it. What affects would over tightening the axle nut have?

I am almost at the end of the adjustment. One hash mark left. Everything feels OK while tightening things and the adjustment block doesn't move after teh adjustments. The only thing that appears to change is the tightness of the chain. It is a pretty significant change. It goes from being 1" to 1 1/2" of play to 3" and noisy!
Side question, My axle nut was real tight and I was away from my torque wrench when I re-tightened it. What affects would over tightening the axle nut have?
I'm gonna chime in with a +1 here!

Mine's the same way! I've also got 1 notch left on the swingarm, the adjusters are snugged down good-n-tight, but the dang thing will loosen right up! I then have to re-adjust.

I, too, have a new chain on the way. I've grounded the bike cuz it was so noisy - didn't wanna take the chance on ruining anything - like cracking the cases if the chain were to snap.

Oh - PS - I only have about 14,000 miles on the stock chain.

I guess I am rideless till the new chain arrives and I get a chance to replace it. I am also going to replace the sprockets while I'm at it.

The only other thing I can think if is that your chain links have stretched unequally, so that some portions of the chain are looser than others. When you adjust it, do you also turn the back wheel and test the slack at various points to see if there's a difference?

1.5" to 3" seems like a BIG difference though, maybe you aren't tightening the axle nut and adjusters enough (or you need some loctite on the adjusters?)

Since the links don't actually stretch my guess is that your O or X rings have fallen out. If so they should be in and around that gummy mess that surrounds the front sprocket.

Since the links don't actually stretch my guess is that your O or X rings have fallen out.  If so they should be in and around that gummy mess that surrounds the front sprocket.
+1

Guess I should've said "unequal wear in the bearing surfaces or compression/destruction of the O-rings" but that was too much typing.

Still seems like a big difference in chain "length" though if it's enough to add 1.5" of slack to the chain.

I have seen this once before on a dirt bike I had. It seemed like the chain loosened up or stretched right after I adjusted it because there were tight spots in the chain. If I adjusted it & checked the slack on a tight spot it seemed ok, then I could spin the tire & check a different spot & it was loose.. get my drift??
biggrin.gif

I guess I am just going to bite the bullet and take her to my local shop (I trust one of the guys who works there). I wanna get a good once over before my trip to the Honda Hoot anyway. Probably have a few other things taken care of while shes there. Thanks for all the info.

On a similar but different subject.

I tightened my chain for the first time last night (@2000miles). It went OK but when I was trying to get the main axle nut loosened, I could not get it to turn at first turning it ccwise so I tried breaking it free by turning it clockwise for a very small rotation (that's worked before for me on other bolts and never stripped one) ... but it turned fairly easy so I thought ... strange is this a left hand thread ?? ... it rotated about 1/8 to 1/4 rotation ... then I was able to turn the nut ccwise and free it up ... everything else went slicker than snot.

But, the ? is: are those nuts and axle threads easy to strip? I don't think so but now I'm worried I may have damaged the threads. The nut tightened up good so I don't think I hurt anything ... I was a little shocked I could tighten it any at all from its factory or dealer assembly setting.

Anybody run into this before?

also, how many pounds of torque should this nut be tightened? I didn't see it in the m.o.m. (not that its not in there but I didn't find it).

I have had the chain loosening problem before. It is at the point the chain is wore out, the O rings are prob. shot and it wont hold much lube anymore. Chain even looks a bit rust coloured after riding. Being so worn it heats up and stretches easy. Use of a chain wax instead of one that flies off helps. The noice is not only due to the chain hitting the swing arm but also that the links are now too long to fit properly into the teeth, you also must have some links that are starting to stick, you will see this by watching your chain as you turn the rear wheel. They go by kinked. On a trip I was tightening twice a day until I replaced it. Sprockets only need replacing if they are starting to hook, or the ends are starting to become pointed as compared to flat blunt ends. I have 60000k on mine and it has been driven hard. I replaced the stock chain at 23000k, second chain at 40600k. Rear sprocket is still stock and I replaced the front at 44000k just to drop to 16teeth. (much better in the corners!!!) Hope this helps.

Back