HELP BRAKE PROBLEM

bertiebusapilot

Registered
HI CHANGED MY BRAKE PADS BUT ONE OF BRAKE MOUNTING BOLTS IS STUCK SOLID ANY IDEAS TO GET IT OUT ITS 12MM BUT WHEN I USED MY TORQ WRENCH IT ROUNDED THE HEAD THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Maybe you can you get a pair of needle-nose vise grips tightly locked onto the head and break it free. If not, try a screw extractor (available at Sears, Ace Hardware, Lowes, etc.). An extractor works by drilling a hole into the bolt center and inserting the extractor into the hole with light hammer tapping where it "jams" against the hole's inside diameter. The bolt can then be carefully unscrewed by hand with a wrench.
AZT176_TN.JPG

I use a hand impact driver and hammer, with the correct socket attached, to break loose stubborn bolts and nuts. With a hand impact driver, you can control the amount of torque applied to the bolt/nut and are less likely to screw it up.

Good luck!

Ive got a idea that you can try. They make sockets just for what you are talking about.I just bought a set from snapon but I think that craftsman also has them.When the points wear or round off these sockets will bite onto the bolt head they have like a threaded part inside them the harder you turn on them the better they bite onto the bolt.I cant tell you how many time they have save my butt. Well worth the money.If you havnt rounded it off to bad try the 12 mm and a impact driver that might break it loose

Do you have to take the calipers off to put on the brake pads or can you just remove the covers pull the pins push the piston back and slip the pads into place

Pep Boys has those sockets too. I have used a dremel to cut a slot in the head of a bolt and used a flat head tip on an impact to get it out.

Back