Haven't posted in while and i have a question...

edouble88h

Registered
my bike is getting some work done and the guy said i have 2 intake cams. could someone plz explain this to me (Barney Style) so i will understand. he says it's 200lbs compression or it should be. i don't really understand what he's telling me

your bike has 2 cams
Its a 4 cyclinder engine with one cam per two cylinders.
The cams actuate the intake valves on your engine.

Compression in each ccylinder should be 200psi meaning when he puts a pressure test apparatus on it each cyclinder shoul show that amount.
Any less and you may need new rings.
Below is a pic of two cams by themselves and other pic is with them installed.
You can see the cams running crosswise with valves and valve springs in line with them.

Hope this helps

BC%20EVO%20cams.bmp

cams.jpg

i guess a lot depends on what hes doing to your bike and why he made this statement , is he saying you got no or low compression , not sure about the cam shafts though . one inlet one exhaust is the norm , you may be better asking your man to explain whats what in laymans terms then post back , it may make it a little easier to understand :beerchug:

The engine head has 2 camshafts (1 intake & 1 exhaust), per cylinder there are 4 valves (2 intake & 2 exhaust).
Compression specs 171-228psi

What he means is someone has replaced the exhaust cam with an intake cam. A lot of people replace the exhaust cam and run 2 intake cams to increase the lift and duration of valves on the exhaust side, which increases horsepower. I don't know how much it increases, because it would depend on if the bike has been tuned since the intake swap.

What he means is someone has replaced the exhaust cam with an intake cam. A lot of people replace the exhaust cam and run 2 intake cams to increase the lift and duration of valves on the exhaust side, which increases horsepower. I don't know how much it increases, because it would depend on if the bike has been tuned since the intake swap.

something else i learnt today , didnt realize they were interchangeable :whistle:

something else i learnt today , didnt realize they were interchangeable :whistle:
They are only interchangeable if you put an adjustable sprocket on and degree it. Intake cam on the exhaust side and degreed cams are worth 5-6 hp, vs the approx 8 hp for some yosh drop in cams.

i believe that is what he was trying to tell me. what does this do as far as performance (outisde of added hp) and what negative effects could it produce?

Is there any other mods that you have to do to run 2 intake cams? Different cams/springs?

You have to find a stock intake cam and then buy some adjustable cam sprockets and have the cams degreed. I would also suggest having the bike tuned. you don't have to change the springs.

your bike has 2 cams
Its a 4 cyclinder engine with one cam per two cylinders.
The cams actuate the intake valves on your engine.

Compression in each ccylinder should be 200psi meaning when he puts a pressure test apparatus on it each cyclinder shoul show that amount.
Any less and you may need new rings.
Below is a pic of two cams by themselves and other pic is with them installed.
You can see the cams running crosswise with valves and valve springs in line with them.

Hope this helps

BC%20EVO%20cams.bmp

View attachment 182857

Back