Has anyone tried mixing a Pilot Race front with a Sport rear?

OB_DangerMouse

Registered
I've got some trackdays coming up and have a nail in my front Pilot Sport and am considering replacing it with a Pilot Race for the summer, has anyone tried this mixture?

Hi Dangermouse

Yes, I tried that combo, although I didn't know I was at the time. I took my wheels in to a local dealer and said "Pilot race please" after I had a blowout on the motorway. After I had put 100 miles on them, guess what...another blowout!! then I noticed when looking at the bike on a trialer for the second time in a week that the rear was a sport and the front a race.

I noticed that when the tyres were warm that the bike wasn't as stable in a straight line or mid turn. I only managed 100 miles on the set, but I would say not to mix....Michelin certainly don't advise, as some pipsqweek kept on quoting at Carnells...

BTW, the trackday at Cadwell was a blast, thanks for all the tips. Have booked Snetterton, Thruxton, and Silverstone. When and where are yours? maybe we could meet?

Thanks for the advise Pooh, I think you've swayed my decision!

How was the Busa on the track? did you have any ground clearance problems?

How accurate did you think my Cadwell assessment was? - interesting to hear the opinions of other riders.

I'm running at Oulton (1st of April) and Mallory (Good Friday) when are your dates? I want to do Snetters and Silverstone maybe I can join you there.
Oulton is very similar to Cadwell (narrow, hilly with a big mix of turns) and is my favorite circuit along with Silverstone (although surprisingly the surface at Silverstone is slippy and you'll have a few heart attafcks at Abbey as the rear spins up under power!) But all the corners at Silverstone can be taken as read - no surprises unlike Cadwell and Oulton which have deceiving bends.

Cheers, Steve.

DM:

Your assesment was spot-on. We only had use of the club circuit but it was still a brilliant experience. Favourite part was Coppice and Charlies, least favourite was the way Chris Curve tightened up at the end...very scary moments. No ground clearance probs, Pirelli Dragons did a great job.

Snetterton on June 11 (sunday), the rest I'm not sure about...lots of dates to choose from. the Silverstone GP circuit is only available on two days...Trackdays and Kawasaki riders club (of which I am a member of) £135 I think, 28 & 29 June.

http://www.uktrackdays.co.uk/

This site lists every trackday available, have a look and see which ones you can do, hopefully I can do the same ones.

BTW Dave P if your reading this, why not try and join us too?? plus there is Santa Pod on the 2nd and 16th of April.

[This message has been edited by pooh (edited 21 March 2000).]

Pooh I will be doing the KRC Silverstone day CU there? also the Snetterton date looks good - I may just book that too!

I ran at Santa Pod this Sunday gone, with a few problems, I had to remove my throttle grip, also the dreaded cutout kept happening on full throttle, I still managed a couple of 10.6s (135MPH TS) - not that brillient but a reasonable starting point.

I had a cracking start with what I thought would be a dead cert low 10, then the bike cut in 3rd and 4th, my TS was only 118MPH (dead engine) and I still ran a 10.8! bollox!!!!

I'm gonna throw the bike back at the dealers to try and sort the cutout once and for all.

Also I haven't fitted my Brock mod yet so my times were on the standard clutch (with uprated springs care of Suzuki UK (4mm longer))

I weigh 224 lbs (16 Stone in real money) so I'm not too disappointed at my times for a first go with the Busa, I'm pretty sure fixing the cutout and the Brock mod will see me in the low 10s.

A SuperBike Journo was running constant low 10s on a standard new type Blade!

Back