Guys I need some help

MC MUSTANG

Peace Keeper or Ban Hammer-it's up to you; IDMBT#9
Staff member
Administrator
Registered
Hey all,
I have a couple of ideas, but I am trying to hit this from as many angles as possible.
I have a GPS StreetPilot III Colormap that I really like. Problem is that it has started failing and I want to get it re furbished/repaired... it is an older model, so Garmin won't do it...

Any help or ideas?

I have recieved a couple of thougths from ToyKraz - anyone else?

Thanks,
MCM

Garmin won't repair one of there products?
rock.gif

What is it doing, Shawn? What are the symptoms?

I live about 10 mins from Garmin's World Headquarters... Wonder if they'd let me drop it on their doorstep?
laugh.gif
(they really need to open a store
tounge.gif

(Pipefighter248 @ Sep. 02 2007,19:47) Garmin won't repair one of there products?
rock.gif
Since the unit is older, they do not currently repair these - but they will repair the Streetpilot III for $249.00 - I could just buy a new one for that if I were willing or able to do so.

That is why I am looking for a cheaper/better way... I really like this unti and have already set up eveything on Bessie - so I would really like to keep this one.
smile.gif

That's a shame.

I know that you didn't post it public, but since you bought it from me, if you need anything to make it right then just let me know.

A lot of todays electronics can't be repaired today because of cost. surface mounted and multi layered board technologies. At $100.00 and hour it's not worth it.

What is it doing.

Buy a used one on ebay....$100-150

I really suggest upgrading to something newer built in the last 2 years.

(omslaw @ Sep. 02 2007,19:50) What is it doing, Shawn?  What are the symptoms?

I live about 10 mins from Garmin's World Headquarters...  Wonder if they'd let me drop it on their doorstep?  
laugh.gif
  (they really need to open a store
tounge.gif
Omar - let me copy and paste the info from my email:
I have a Garmin Street Pilot III Colormap that has stopped working. If I put batteries in,
the unit will turn on and register battery power, but then 1-3 minutes later, the unit will shut
down. If I plug it in via the power cable, it will not turn on at all. I suspect that the power
supply is the problem - but I was wondering if this is something that you might be able to fix?

hmmm. could be a capacitor or rectifier gone bad; tracking it down without a schematic would be tough... Problem is - like Do3 and Rick suggested - it may be cheaper to get a new one... hmmmm

(omslaw @ Sep. 02 2007,20:04) hmmm.  could be a capacitor or rectifier gone bad; tracking it down without a schematic would be tough...  Problem is - like Do3 and Rick suggested - it may be cheaper to get a new one...   hmmmm
I know... that may end up being my only option... Thing is that this one is very durable, easy to use on the bike and - Bessie as already set up.

It may be a wash - but I had to try you know!
smile.gif

http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/us/support/

The power supply is the batteries or what you're plugging in. The unit might have an MOV or simple filter, but I doubt it. DC, especially in the form of batteries is pretty clean. Some power supplies feed through the batteries for this reason.

I tried to find schematics without luck, I did find tech support, but with your problem, they'll say ship it in and $250.00 later you'll have a new one I would guess.

Good Luck

23_11_52.gif

Yeah,
I figured as much...
smile.gif
But again, I had to try!
beerchug.gif

Love my TomTom One, great size for the bike and no buttons to push with gloves on. $250 brand new, probably $200 on sale or less on eBay. I paid $500 9 months ago...
sad.gif
laugh.gif

Tom3.JPG

Back