Grips

Sako

Registered
Any advice on R&R of the hand grips? Just bought some new ones and not sure where to start. Thanks.

Use a P-3 size phillips screwdriver and a hammer drill/driver if possible to get the bar ends off.

I would reccomend trying this first... No disrespect Krieg  
beerchug.gif

Simply grasp the bar end with your bare hand and turn it to the left with a fair amount of force. This will break the screw loose without running the risk of damaging it. I did it with a phillips head screwdriver on the right side and now wish i hadn't.
As for removing the stock grips take a flathead and open up a gap near the top of the grip then drip some rubbing alchohol into it. Work it deeper into the grip then simply turn the grip and it will slide off effortlessly. Same goes for re-installation

<!--EDIT|MoosesBusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1118505921 -->

None taken Moosebusa. But if the dealership used locktight as per specs you wont twist the bolt loose. The proper sized phillips driver will get it out undamaged. It needs to be a P-3, anything smaller will strip it every time.

<!--EDIT|Krieg
Reason for Edit: None given...|1118506488 -->

oonce you get the bar end off try using compressed air on a blower nozzle. Use the one with the rubber end and stick it into the grip a little. now gently blow some air in there and twist, and pull the grip should come off nicely without dammage. to reintall new grip use a little windex and more compressed air. wit a few hous for the windex to evaporate and go for a ride. Ive done it this way many times and has worked flawless for me

MoosesBusa
Seasoned Pilot

Group: Members
Avg posts/day:2.07

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would reccomend trying this first... No disrespect Krieg
Simply grasp the bar end with your bare hand and turn it to the left with a fair amount of force. This will break the screw loose without running the risk of damaging it. I did it with a phillips head screwdriver on the right side and now wish i hadn't.
As for removing the stock grips take a flathead and open up a gap near the top of the grip then drip some rubbing alchohol into it. Work it deeper into the grip then simply turn the grip and it will slide off effortlessly. Same goes for re-installation [/QUOTE]

Work fine for me too, Moose
super.gif

oonce you get the bar end off try using compressed air on a blower nozzle. Use the one with the rubber end and stick it into the grip a little. now gently blow some air in there and twist, and pull the grip should come off nicely without dammage. to reintall new grip use a little windex and more compressed air. wit a few hous for the windex to evaporate and go for a ride. Ive done it this way many times and has worked flawless for me[/QUOTE]

Good ideal busafr
beerchug.gif

If you dont have a compressor like most peeps try using a heat gun, it might take a few mins to softn up the adhesive. Next, after it has softn enough to the point that you can lift the top edge piece of the handgrip try pouring (spraying) some wd-40 underneath the lifted section as this will work its way down with a little bit of assistant from you twisting and possibly inserting a screw driver underneath the the grip wiggling side to side will help also. This will loosen the adhesive making it nice and easy to slide off. After the removal wipe the bar down with an solvent base product (rubbing alcohol) to remove any traces of wD-40 .

Ty

None taken Moosebusa. But if the dealership used locktight as per specs you wont twist the bolt loose. The proper sized phillips driver will get it out undamaged. It needs to be a P-3, anything smaller will strip it every time.
I agree with Kreig totally. That is exactly how I got mine off.

Back