Grip Install question

cosmo

Registered
Whats the best product to use for a new set of grips? I've heard everything from clear lacquer to grip-goo.

I didn't hafta use anything when I did mine, I just cut off the factory grips and put the aftermarket ones on.

Jay

I always shoot mine lightly on the inside with brake cleaner, then shove them on FAST!

The brake cleaner evaporates quick and the grips stick quite well.

Hairspray, or there is actually a grip glue that is sold. Try the gel grips. They are a pleasure at the end on a 200 mile day.

If you squirt a few drops of rubbing alcohol under the edges of the old grips, work them by twisting and adding more alcohol, they will slip off undamaged. Clean the exposed handlebar and throttle surfaces, add a few drops of alcohol to the new grips and they should slide easily into the desired position. Let them sit until the alcohol has completely evaporated (like overnight) and the grips should remain in position by surface tension.
smile.gif

Harris grips makes a glue that you can buy for just a few bucks. That is what I used on mine and it worked great.

I have never used glue, but a spray of windex let's them slide on easy. When it dries, they are tight.

Grips are usually inexpensive. Cut the old ones off. A little bit of water inside the new ones and slip them on. They won't come off. If you haven't bought new ones yet, get grips with a firm gel base. It helps reduce hand fatigue a little more.

P.

Old motorcycle trick from way back. A shot of Krylon!

I just installed grip heaters though and they recommend using a high temp epoxy?? Way too permanent for my tastes.

Back