Got hit by a car that ran a stop sign.

Very sorry to hear this / glad that you are OK.

How would you rate your gear? Anything that you would change?
I never hit my head, so no sense rating my helmet. I was wearing a brand new pair of Alipnestars SPX Air Carbon V2 gloves. Those worked flawlessly. Zero pain or marks on my hands. Gloves are still in good shape too. Leather and the sliders got a little scuffed, but nothing more. I was wearing a Joe Rocket lightweight mesh jacket. The left elbow pad was "stuck" to my arm after I got hit, but no pain, scrapes, or drama to either elbow. My knees got some abrasions as I was wearing hospital scrub pants. Ankle sprain was from wearing tennis shoes for work vs sturdier boots.

I was wearing a backpack. THAT took the vast majority of damage. My backpack was scuffed through in several places and a corner of my laptop was ground down from the pavement. Kept my back safe.

The one piece of gear I wasn't wearing was my Tech Air 5 vest. Till now I've only been wearing it on interstate trips, not around town. I remember the first thing I did when I sat up was pat my chest and think.... well, this POS never deployed. Then I remembered, oh yes stupid, you're not wearing it today. I'm pretty sure my left shoulder would be doing better if I was wearing it. I'm wearing it now for all trips, not just the interstate ones. I'm also going to wear my GoPro as a "dash cam" on my commutes now too.
Glad you made out ok. We’d love more details when you’re up to it.

I started the insurance hoops today. Busa is taking a trip to Wichita Falls in the morning. The dealer there is experienced in insurance and collision work. Only one I saw within 300 miles that advertises they have that ability. I spoke with the shop manager and got a good vibe. They'll disassemble it and check if the frame is good and the bike fixable. I should know the verdict next week. I'm optimistic at this point.

I have already made a conscious decision I'm either going to wrap it or change the graphics on the fairings to something more lively so it stands out on the road better for inattentive drivers. I had a Ninja before the Busa painted in KRT colors. It was very bright and a bit obnoxious. Helen Keller could see and heard that bike coming down the road.

So sorry to read and see about this horrible accident .

I had a similar situation day before Christmas 2005 .

Lady in a Jaguar took me out .

Left and right fairings thrashed , exhausts , stator cover and such not .

Bike was far from totaled .

So then comes insurance adjustment time, I loosened a few bolts , invited the young inexperienced adjuster into my garage to do his thing .

Bike was a 2005 crashed in 2005 and they actually totaled it out , then sold it back to me for 500 .

I said nothing to this person except for this analogy.

This is a land missile.

“Say you’re taking a rocket to the launch pad and drop it along the way , are you still going to launch it into space ? “

Kid printed me out a check for a 1000 more than I paid for it , even after the buy back right in my driveway.

Glad to read you are relatively unharmed and sometimes there is a silver lining to such incidents.

I have already made a conscious decision I'm either going to wrap it or change the graphics on the fairings to something more lively so it stands out on the road better for inattentive drivers. I had a Ninja before the Busa painted in KRT colors. It was very bright and a bit obnoxious. Helen Keller could see and heard that bike coming down the road.
Not a bad idea but probably won't matter, way to many drivers are looking at everything else but the road so no matter what bright colors you choose to wrap/paint your bike if someone is not looking they're not going to see you. I can't ride a mile without seeing half the people in cars texting/talking on their phone, reading newspapers or documents, applying make up or whatever else people so when driving except watching the road.

Not a bad idea but probably won't matter, way to many drivers are looking at everything else but the road so no matter what bright colors you choose to wrap/paint your bike if someone is not looking they're not going to see you. I can't ride a mile without seeing half the people in cars texting/talking on their phone, reading newspapers or documents, applying make up or whatever else people so when driving except watching the road.
While walking this morning I watched a driver back his car out of his driveway and his head didn't leave his phone the entire time....I just stood there and watched him because he was backing out in my direction of travel....he eventually looked up, looked around and was almost surprised that he was in the street...I looked at him, shrugged and kept walking.....karma will catch up to him.......

Back