Gopro hero 3 white or drift hd720

I was thinking the exact same thing. I know a lot of people have them so lets hear it.. cant wait. thinking of gopro also

When Felix Baumgartner did his historic jump from Stratos, Red Bull used GoPro (maybe GoPro was a sponsor?) BTW, I have a GoPro :)

gopro will give you higher video settings.720 is a low setting,i usually run mine on 960 but can do 1080,plus you have lots of options you can buy for the gopro,gopro comes with waterproof housing also so you can go underwater with it if you want to,plus go to gopro.com and look at all the accessories there are for the cameras for mounting,i have 2 gopros and use them all the time..and video quality is awesome

Pull up a search on gopro differences, the white isn't that good of a choice compared to silver or black. The white is not as good as the gp 2 if I read correctly.

Just picked up a silver a few weeks back. Love the camera and the mounting accessories are relatively cheap. The battery life was horrible until I figured out that the wifi stays on a unless you physically shut it off through the setup features. Lastly, the audio is horrid unless you buy the mic attachment but I could care less about that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just picked up a silver a few weeks back. Love the camera and the mounting accessories are relatively cheap. The battery life was horrible until I figured out that the wifi stays on a unless you physically shut it off through the setup features. Lastly, the audio is horrid unless you buy the mic attachment but I could care less about that. 08' Busa - YouTube

If you haven't tried it yet,put the skeleton back on the housing in place of the solid one.You wouldn't think so but audio is way better with the skeleton back.

I'm using the Drift HD (not the 720) This is a 1080p version. The main reason is that I just can't get over the non-aerodynamic shape of the GoPro. The video on the Drift HD is comparable to the GoPro 3 Silver edition for the most part. The Drift HD has an LCD screen to line up the shots and for reviewing footage and it also comes with a remote.

You can see some of the Drift HD footage that I shot here in this short video:

Last edited by a moderator:
piratediverjefff, really? i never considered that because i was worried about getting it trashed.

piratediverjefff, really? i never considered that because i was worried about getting it trashed.

If i'm lyin' i'm dyin' bro.:laugh:I saw a reference to it on GoPro's site so thought i'd try it and i'll be damned it if doesn't work way better than the solid back,way less wind noise(i don't know how that's possible with the skeleton back but it works,they say up to around 100 mph but once i put the skeleton back on i've never taken it off with probably 30 videos taken since i switched).Give it a try bro,and also seems to help when you use that little white thing that presses on around the base(seems to get rid of most of that "clicking" noise).:thumbsup:

If i'm lyin' i'm dyin' bro.:laugh:I saw a reference to it on GoPro's site so thought i'd try it and i'll be damned it if doesn't work way better than the solid back,way less wind noise(i don't know how that's possible with the skeleton back but it works,they say up to around 100 mph but once i put the skeleton back on i've never taken it off with probably 30 videos taken since i switched).Give it a try bro,and also seems to help when you use that little white thing that presses on around the base(seems to get rid of most of that "clicking" noise).:thumbsup:
i'll have to give a go, thanks!

I have used lic ego, google it. It's pretty decent for the price. Picture quality seems just as good as go pro if not better. You can use go pro mounts with it with a little filing. The only problem with lic ego seems to be a approx 29 minute limit for video length.

I finally just ordered a gopro white 5mp with a bunch of attachments. took the plunge ...cant wait to try it out. going to go to the dragon August 18 for a few days i think. cant wait to see how it works

I have a hero 2 and we just won a drift HD ghost 1080 Drift HD Ghost | Drift Action Cameras

PRODUCT FEATURESHIDE
1080p High Definition
microSD Memory Capacity: up to 32GB
60fps in 720p, 120fps in VGA
Still Photo: 11 megapixel with Photoburst Mode
Drift Active StatusTM Two-Way Remote with LED Lights
Drift FlashbackTM Video Tag/Loop
Built-In 2-Inch LCD Screen with Corning® Gorilla® Glass
Drift DataLinkTM Wi-Fi Enabled & Drift App (coming soon)
Advanced Drift PureTM Audio Technology
Enhanced 7 Element Lens Design
Lens Angle: 170° Fully Rotatable Wide Angle Lens (130° at 60fps)
Digital Zoom: x10
Water Proof to 3m (9.84ft)
Remote Control: Wireless RF (10m range) Hands Free Video and Photo
Mounts: Multiple Mounting Design, Standard 1/4″ 20 thread
Audio: Built-in Microphone & Speaker, 3.5mm External Mic Input
HDMI: Mini (Type c) HDMI connector for HDTV playback
Menus: User Friendly Control Panel in 15 Languages

I have the Replay XD HD 1080.... Its the size of a pocket flashlight...It can mount in more places and its not as big and bulky as the GoPro....The price is about the same for the GoPro and Replay XD HD 1080....

I would take the Replay XD 1080 any day over the GoPro plus the Replay XD 1080 got a higher rating on hotrod Magazine...

Here are the Specs for the Replay XD 1080:

Technical Specifications
Display External HDMI display option (Click Here for ReView Field Monitor)
iPad with iOS4 or higher File Import Compatible
(with Apple SD Card Adapter)
Android Compatible (Select Devices with microSDHC slot)
Removable Storage microSDHC (up to 32GB)
4GB micro SDHC Included
Ports HDMI 1.3a Output
-Live HD Video Streaming
-HD Video & Photo Playback, Thumbnail Display, Play/Stop, Skip Forward/Reverse, Menu On/Off
-External Mic/Audio Line-In
USB 2.0 Mini 8-pin
-Charge and Sync
-Timecode Out (with HW Data Kit)
microSDHC slot
-up to 32 GB
Power AC Power 100~240 V, 50~60 Hz
Rechargeable Internal Li-ion Battery 3.7 V, 750 mAh*
up to 122 Minute Record Time*
Housing Durable Aluminum Housing
-Type-1 Black Anodized
-Round for 360º Mounting Rotation
-Impact Resistant
Black with Laser Etched Logos
-Easy Alignment
-Discrete Placement
O-ring Sealed
-Front and Rear Bezel
-Exterior Buttons
Weather Resistant
Size 28 mm Dia. x 93 mm Length, 27 mm Mounting Dia.
1.1 in Dia. x 3.6 in Length, 1.063 in Mounting Dia.
96.2 mm with Lanyard Cap
3.78 in with Lanyard Cap
Weight 85 grams (including battery & microSDHC)
3 ounces
Control On Top: Power "On/Off" & Select "Record, Stop, Playback, Clip File" Buttons with Vibration Feedback
On the Back: Mode "1080P, 960P, 720P, Photo, Heads-up On/Off, FPS "60 fps, 30 fps, 3, 5, 15, 30 Sec.
Audio: Internal Mic & External Mic Selection
Photo Mode 5 MP JPEG Photo 2592 x 1944
1 Photo per 3, 5, 15, 30 sec
Manual, Burst Mode, and Custom Duration available in Advanced Settings
Video Settings H.264 Codec, Quicktime .mov file type
Live HD Playback, Live HD View, Live HD Streaming
Bitrate Adjustment: High, Medium, Low
Exposure Control EV Adjustment
Auto Exposure Metering: Center, Average, Spot
Automatic White Balance with Adjustment
Contrast Adjustment
Sharpness Adjustment
Saturation Adjustment
Microphone Audio Gain Control
Date and Time Adjustment
Heads-up Display via HDMI Port On/Off
Video Resolution 5 MP (2592 x 1944) CMOS Sensor
1080P 1920 x 1080, 30 fps, Bitrate M(bit/s) = up to 15M
960P 1280 x 960, 30 fps, Bitrate M(bit/s) = up to 15M
720P 1280 x 720, 60 fps, Bitrate M(bit/s) = up to 15M
720P 1280 x 720, 30 fps, Bitrate M(bit/s) = up to 15M
HDMI HD Video Streaming, Real-time HD 1080.
NTSC 30/60 and PAL 25/50 option
Optics F3.1±5% Wide Angle
110.5 Degrees @ 1080P
135 Degrees @ 960P, 720P
135 Degrees @ Photo
1.3V/lux-sec Light Sensitivity
Lens Cover Replaceable Aluminum Bezel and Lens Cover
Audio Internal Omnidirectional Microphone
AAC and AC3 2-channel
48K, 16-bit, Auto Gain
External Mic-in 0.707 Vrms
Power Supply 5V +/- 0.5V / 1A
System Requirements: PC Video Playback
Windows Intel® Core Duo® or higher
Windows® XP with Service Pack 3, Windows Vista, Windows 7
1920 x 1080 screen resolution
USB 2.0 Port, Mouse
VRAM 512MB
RAM 4GB
Macintosh Intel® Core Duo® or higher
Mac OS X v.10.5, 10.6, 10.7
USB 2.0 Port, Mouse
VRAM 512MB
RAM 2GB
* Specifications are subject to change prior to shipping.

Back