GM on a chopper?

Build a redneck enginering Mutant out of a buell donor bike,You use alot of the buell,Front end ,wheels electronics,Brakes ,and ,,200 tire so it will turn still.And the motor is 96 hp already.You can buiild one pretty cheap if you can fab some of the parts yourself

BUELLS_01.jpg

GM--I'm with you, although I don't know anything about the quality of the bikes. I'd like a Fatboy for those days when I just want to cruise and not ride. The BigDog looks nice, except for the cover on the pipes.

The thing about these bikes is.. The whole thing is build with aftermarket parts from 100 different companys.... Basicly some body elses wish list , normally with a horible warantee that turns out to be no warantee. for the money if you want a chopper build it yourself and keep all receipts. order everything to fit your wish list or it will always be somebody elses custom.

(Blue Streak @ May 03 2007,21:59) I have always wanted a "drag style" chopper which is the low and short version but I just can't own a v-twin. I have been thinking about building one out of an old Suzuki GS 1100 for some time now.
I'd imagine one ride on a Ducati 1098 would change your mind.

(jpracecraft @ May 06 2007,07:46) The thing  about these bikes is.. The whole thing is build with aftermarket parts from 100 different companys.... Basicly some body elses wish list , normally with a horible warantee that turns out to be no warantee. for the money if you want a chopper build it yourself and keep all receipts. order everything to fit your wish list or it will always be somebody elses custom.
What's a warranty?

tounge.gif

Playing the Devil's advocate here ... How many sucessful warranty claims have been made on our Busa's? IF the problem is in the tranny it is denied twice as often as approved!
The only Custom part about the "dogs" are the one off custom paint jobs on each model and the "dog"'s OEM factory wiring harness. For a while they were using really light gauge wire with cheesy insulation that created a LOT of problems. I was just not impressed with the bikes' cosmetic durability.
To frame up and build your own chopper you'd better budget at least $30K if ou want something cool. If you just want to asssemble one, you can buy the whole thing in boxes from Drag Specialties for around $12K as a complete kit.
Personally, I think quality built choppers are just plain cool!

(dmrowe @ May 06 2007,16:27)
(jpracecraft @ May 06 2007,07:46) The thing  about these bikes is.. The whole thing is build with aftermarket parts from 100 different companys.... Basicly some body elses wish list , normally with a horible warantee that turns out to be no warantee. for the money if you want a chopper build it yourself and keep all receipts. order everything to fit your wish list or it will always be somebody elses custom.
What's a warranty?

tounge.gif
For 30Gs there better be some kind of Back up plan . You cant gp to autozone or ebay for replacement parts. If you build it, you know where everything came from at least.

I like the Drag specialties choppers in a box. For $11-12 you can get all the parts, minus paint, to assemble a bike.

GM - That is a great looking bike. I really love looking at those things. Just remember, if you want to look cool you can't wear any kind of gear and your helmet has to be one of those plastic Nazi looking things that will offer you zero protection.

I really like the look and saw quite a few of them being riden back to LA from Laughlin, NV last weekend. Saw more of them being trailered but there were a few being riden. I really felt sorry for those guys too.

(MoosesBusa @ May 06 2007,17:12) Playing the Devil's advocate here ... How many sucessful warranty claims have been made on our Busa's? IF the problem is in the tranny it is denied twice as often as approved!
  The only Custom part about the "dogs" are the one off custom paint jobs on each model and the "dog"'s OEM factory wiring harness. For a while they were using really light gauge wire with cheesy insulation that created a LOT of problems. I was just not impressed with the bikes' cosmetic durability.
  To frame up and build your own chopper you'd better budget at least $30K if ou want something cool. If you just want to asssemble one, you can buy the whole thing in boxes from Drag Specialties for around $12K as a complete kit.
  Personally, I think quality built choppers are just plain cool!
Big Bear Choppers puts together a great kit or a fully assemble bike. Stop by and visit their 'factory' sometime. Great people.

Am i the only guy that doesn't like a suicide shifter/clutch set-up? I like a user friendly bike. Normal controls and all. Also, i'm out to find a chopper with a 240 or less rear tire.

Can't blame you for lusting after a chopper. Here's a couple pics of my Bourget. Usually run a 200 or 210 tire on the back. "Handling" is a relative term for any chopper, but those with 250 and up rubber definitely are more ponderous.

Bot the busa in January this year and have put just over 4,300 miles on it. Poor ole chopper has logged about 100 miles during the same time period. With warmer weather here now, it'll get dusted off and ridden more... Choppers are great "bar hoppers" but not meant for longer hauls.

Back