Gen2 Hayabusa Fairing Tutorial Videos (w/pics)

Great tutorial. One tip about separating the last pin that pops up and not out. Rather than digging your hands down behind the fairing, just lift the fuel tank. Much easier to then pop the fairing straight up.

I'm not having as much luck with this as it seems others are.

I got all the fasteners off with no troubles after I broke the head off the first pry-rivet and got replacements from my dealer for nothing.

I separated the left and right fairing at the bottom with no trouble and as you can see on the towel-rag bits of road gravel fell out.

What appeared to be so easy to do in the video has been impossible for me. I cannot separate the chin piece on the left side above the moulded indentation, cross-haired in the picture, thus cannot continue up the inner left fairing to remove the inner panel piece as shown in the video. I have been very careful and slow, walked away several times for a coffee and then retried, and even exerted what I thought was too much force, but the fairing refuses to separate above that chin piece indentation. My fingers are hurting and as much as I've looked using a powerful torch, I cannot see any fasteners or what's stopping the fairing from separating.

Any advice at this stage would be appreciated as I'm at the stage of putting it together again and booking this job with my service agent, which of course will cost me an arm and a leg for something I can do myself, and have done myself on previous motorbikes.

Chin-Left-Inner-Panel-removal-01a.jpg

Chin-Left-Inner-Panel-removal-01b.jpg

OK call off the posse, I managed to separate the left hand front fairing piece, and it took a fair bit of force to do it. The culprits that were making it so difficult are shown below. some more road gravel, a black plastic rod piece, a small bit of moulded clear plastic and a piece of car windscreen by the looks of it, all tightly wedged in-between the fairing, chin piece and inner panel. I would not be surprised if the right side is the same, but I'll leave that for another day.

Australian country roads strike again, but still better than endless klicks of boring freeways or motorways.

Chin-Left-Inner-Panel-removal-01c.jpg

First of all thanks Blanca for the videos. You made what would have been an impossible job possible.

It took me less than 15 minutes to install the Speedohealer but the removal and reinstallation of the left fairing was full of drama, all due to my lack of experience on working with this bike, or because of procedures that would not fall into place no matter how much gentle persuasion was applied.

First I wish the T clip that holds the left fairing piece apart from the inner panel was mentioned somewhere. Shown in the picture and clearly visible from the left hand fairing engine heat outlet. The inner panel came out so easy in the video but after all the drama of getting it separated from the left fairing piece I still had a dickens of a time removing that panel, and the main culprit was that T clip located on the inside of the inner panel and that goes into a raised slot on the inside of the left fairing piece. I don't know if that clip was not inserted properly for the others here or for some reason I cannot fathom it was difficult to unclip it. To also make matters hard was the fact the inner panel would not separate from the chin piece without a lot of jiggling and effort. I watched the video dozens of times and in slow-mo but I could not get the inner panel to come out as easily as that.

The tab on the upper left fairing piece was another story and after a very sore thumb I managed it.

And I won't even go into the reinstallation, it was about as equally difficult for me as the removal.

I would like to say practice makes perfect but to be honest I hope never to undertake that exercise again and will leave it to the workshop to do. I'll time any modifications with major services where I know the fairing needs to be removed, thus hopefully saving a little in labour costs.

Thanks to Rolling Thunder for the advice on lifting the fuel tank. It's good advice people and makes the job a little easier.

Chin-Left-Inner-Panel-removal-01d.jpg

I still struggle with it myself and i have stripped down numerous times. The key is patience and minimal force as possible. Glad it panned out for you.

Yep, that's the key Schism, lots of patience.

Follow Blanca's excellent vids, photos and explanation but be aware they don't show everything, like lifting the tank for easier access to the side skirt and the clip I had so much trouble with. Patiently follow the steps and if you get stuck in one place, like I did in a few, then logically work out why the thing is not coming apart or going together as is shown in the video.

You'll get there in the end with no broken parts and it will be gained experience for next time and to pass onto others.

Great video, thanks a lot for your efforts :bowdown:Any advice on how to remove just the front fairing where the headlight is? I just wouldn't care to take off the side fairings, if possible. Anyone? :please:

Great video, thanks a lot for your efforts :bowdown:Any advice on how to remove just the front fairing where the headlight is? I just wouldn't care to take off the side fairings, if possible. Anyone? :please:

You have to remove side panels in order to remove nose. Reason being is that sides clip together with nose and must be removed first. Send me a pm with your email address or post it here and I'll send you a PDF tutorial on taking the nose off. :thumbsup:

Here I'll make it easy for you....

GENII FRONT FAIRING/NOSE REMOVAL
Courtesy goest to Djxtrodinaire

SEE PDF ATTACHMENT

Attachments

• Suzuki Hayabusa Gen 2 Upper Fairing Removal.pdf
    3.7 MB · Views: 1,313
Greetings all, I am about to tackle this for an oil change and have a question, Does the chin skirt have to be removed to
take off right side fairing? Thank you in advance!!

Greetings all, I am about to tackle this for an oil change and have a question, Does the chin skirt have to be removed to
take off right side fairing? Thank you in advance!!

No it doesn't have to come off but you do have to remove the push pins and unclip it from the fairing as well as remove inside inner panel attached to it.

THANKS TO ALL for the combined efforts. I've been a busa owner since 99 and I'm not a fan of the gen II plastic off and on process - but is getting easier.

I don't spend much time here anymore - but have a somewhat related question that I know has been discussed over past 4 years. UNSURE where to find it or best thread to look for so here goes (Sorry if it's a tired set if answers!)

Topic - Side panel air tube grommets.......

Where is the best place to buy these? - Local dealer?
Expected Cost? Say 2 ea?

**** Any tips to keeping these locked in place at time of install? *****
( tacky glue on outside if grommet and grease in inside??? )
( take extreme care when aligning panelS and pushing tab into grommet? )

Any tips to easily reclaim them after they get sucked into the tube when the goofball owner touches them to pull them out with fingers only?

What are thoughts on installing panels without using these?
Air Leaks (at say 100+ mph impact???)
Rattles ????
No real effect for a poser that usually rides less that 150 MPH and never bets on racing??????

Finally - How many people do you think actually have this or ONE grommet NOT in place after the first service. 25% or more? 40 or more???? Thanks all

I'll be adding a few grommets to my tool box early this week so I don't miss one (more) minute of riding.

Bruce, been lucky to NOT have experienced your issue with the grommet, maybe put a dab of clear silicone to keep it in place? Coat hanger with a ball of tape at one end to fish out the grommet? Or remove the air tubes to tap it out....can't really go anywhere else since the air filter will be there waiting for it :)
Dealer may be the best (and only?) place to buy these, Give Justin (of Hondea East, site sponsor) a call for pricing.
I personally would NOT reinstall fairing pieces with ANYTHING missing (just me, for peace of mind)

Back