Gen1 Cooling system converted to Gen2

Commuta_Busa

Donating Member
Registered
So during this winter I plan on making some changes to my cooling system. My orginal radiator has seen better days. It's got a few embedded bee carcases that have really buried themselves and damaged multiple sections of the cooling fins. All of the abuse over the years means a less efficient cooling system. As you can see from the pic, I had upgraded to dual fans way back when.

P1016311.jpg

Very Interesting once you get done let us know how the install goes I have been wondering if it would be a direct replacement to the old set up

Since I was going with a slightly used Gen 2 radiator I figured I would take the time this winter to clean it up a little and walk through changing a Gen1 cooling system to a Gen2 system. Since my bike is silver and grey and I had taken everything apart to clean and inspect I figured I would take the extra effort and paint match some of the components.

A nice improvement to the Gen2 cooling system is that they come with dual fans already. You’ll also notice there’s no bung for the fan switch that is used on the Gen1 to activate/de-active the fans. The Gen2 does this through the ECU using the regular cooling system temp sensor in the cylinder block. I’ll relocate the sensor so that the fans are still automatically controlled by a temp sensor. You could wire the fans to a switch but that would require some kind of manual action to operate the fans.

P1016321.jpg

btw, Draco may notice some minor changes to these OE Gen2 fans since he's been looking at going ultra light with his Combo. There's more that could be done the lighten these but I didn't want to compromise any durability in the assemblies.

Well, I have a change in plans so now I need to get rid of this rad.

Anyone looking for a 2008 Radiator, fans, and brand new OE upper radiator hose? I'll let it all go for 260 as is which includes shipping within the continental USA. Payment would be best by money order. If you want to do paypal (the devil) then I'll have to raise the total so that it would cover all of the stupid paypal fees. :moon:

Shoot me a PM if interested. :beerchug:

I just ended up going a completely different path for my cooling system. Since I really only need a system to keep the temps down for <3 miles / say 4 minutes at a time I don't need such an efficient cooling system. :sly:

It's just to bad that I had already spent time cleaning, painting, and reducing some weight to the fans... oh well

Last edited:
what's needed would be the lower rad hose and a way to turn the fans on. The least expansive way would be to add a toggle switch and relay to activate the fans but then it's a manual process. The other approach which is better is to use the Gen1 thermo switch for the fans. Since there's no bung in the Gen2 rad I would say to splice an adaptor into the upper rad hose so the sensor can be mounted there. This is the same process that the turbo guys use to relocate the thermo switch for clearance.

Back