Gen ii vs new r1 ?

Kento-Moto

Hayabusa Immortal
Donating Member
Registered
Anyone have both? A local rider is looking to buy either one but says he leaning toward the R1.

Any thoughts?

I'd say they aren't even comparable.....what does he plan to do with it?

+1 different bikes I had the same issue and I ended up with the busa because I was taking my wife on the back more and it was more comfortable for the two of us and I weigh enough to throw the busa around. I will buy a second bike in the future that will be just for me (thinking an mv perhaps :D)

One you can ride all day and the other for about five minutes unless your on a track.
At 6'4 there's no way I could ever fit on one.

Bikes are 2 different, if you told me he was considering a GSXR -1000 an a R1 I could understand . But the Busa and R1 are not on the same page there are 2 different animals. Busa being a little more comfortable for days with longer time in the saddle.

My friend had an R1 loved but got rid of it when we found ourselves riding 6 - 10 hrs on the weekends.

As stated, two different classes of bikes. For two up riding and triple digit rides in a day, blinding straight speeds and torque, top end joy, overall comfort the Busa. If he wants a track bike or if he's a wee tite the R1. R1's are great bikes, but I love my Busa.

I have one of each. What exactly would you like to know? They aren't in the same class, but both excellent bikes.

I like the 1000's. After sitting on a GSXR1000 and feeling like i was sitting on a pocket rocket I knew it wasnt the bike for me.
How can you compare the 2? Really its like car shopping and saying hmmmm cant decide if I want a smart car or an Escalade

The R1s have always felt to me that they needed much more steering input to accomplish the same turn as a cbr, zx, or gsxr. That the bars needed noticebly turned through a sharp curve(they need a steering wheel:laugh:), as opposed to a not noticeable amount on the other bikes. I've ridden all the R1's up to 07, so I hope that has changed. I hate them, but of coarse alot of folks love them. I've talked with several people who've ridden the crossplanes and they still claim that they have the typical underpowered R1 feel. Tach it to 20k to get it to make power.
They have always seemed to be weaker than the zx and gsxr.
As others have said though, compared to the Busa it's apples and oranges.
If I had to guess why they were the 2 choices I would say it was based on name and hype of both bikes.

Pretty funny, but all of this is allmost exactly what I told him on face book. I rode a firends R1 a couple years ago ( I think it was an 05 ) that was really dialed in with lots of aftermarket parts, Ohlins ... and it was head and shoulders above my friends 04 R1 which I rode several times.

If I was in the market for a litre bike, it would definately be the BMW.

I think the guy who asked the question wants an R1 and his GF wants a pretty new white Busa :cool:

I have a 09 R1 and a 09 Busa both of which have been to the track and seen about 10k miles on the street each. On the street is is the busa all day long. It is far more comfortable and has a much more linear power band. I describe them like this, the Busa is like a heavyweight wrestler and the R1 is like a twitchy mental patient with a rocket launcher. They can both mess stuff up but one needs to really be provoked to do so. Some of this may have to do with the fact that the Busa requires about 90˚ of twist to open the throttle all the way while the R1 needs only about 60˚.

I would suggest the Busa even if there is a plan to do some track days. In my opinion the Busa is underrated for how it handles. The R1 is indeed sharper but the busa does quite well for how much more it weighs. The only thing about an 09+ R1 is how amazing they sound at full tilt. R1 Engine Sound
I hope this helps and if there are any specific questions I will be happy to answer them. Either way you really can't go wrong :)

I agree with the above in the sense of: Whichever is more comfortable for you and any riders. (Test ride) If he leans heavily towards liking the twisties more than straight-aways, maybe go with the R1. If he is more of a drag-race fan and likes punching through the gears in a straight line, take the Busa. Both do well in either case if you know your bike. I find my Busa carves just fine for a "heavy hypersport." He won't be sorry with either bike but personally, I'd take the Busa because you never really outgrow it. :)

I have a 09 R1 and a 09 Busa both of which have been to the track and seen about 10k miles on the street each. On the street is is the busa all day long. It is far more comfortable and has a much more linear power band. I describe them like this, the Busa is like a heavyweight wrestler and the R1 is like a twitchy mental patient with a rocket launcher. They can both mess stuff up but one needs to really be provoked to do so. Some of this may have to do with the fact that the Busa requires about 90˚ of twist to open the throttle all the way while the R1 needs only about 60˚.

I would suggest the Busa even if there is a plan to do some track days. In my opinion the Busa is underrated for how it handles. The R1 is indeed sharper but the busa does quite well for how much more it weighs. The only thing about an 09+ R1 is how amazing they sound at full tilt. R1 Engine Sound
I hope this helps and if there are any specific questions I will be happy to answer them. Either way you really can't go wrong :)

This is just one of the reasons why I have loved the org for so many years now... Morry this is an excellent reply, thank you thank you!

tell him to watch this video. that should sum it up for him.......:laugh:
goes 190mph, and Suzuki Hayabusa passed - YouTube[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
tell him to watch this video. that should sum it up for him.......:laugh:
goes 190mph, and Suzuki Hayabusa passed - YouTube[/url]

Ha! Without watching the video I already know which one that is! ****ing crazy fast busa lol!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back