Gen I front suspension upgrades?

K Wolf

Donating Member
Registered
I've been away from the forum, and riding, for a while. I'm looking to upgrade the internals of my front suspension. I'm a 280 lb. man, and I know the stock front is too soft for someone my size. I've set my damping high (I don't remember exactly what setting. It's been too long since I made the adjustment.) to help compensate for my weight, but I know that isn't the "right" way to handle things. I would like to get replacement front suspension internals set up correctly for me. Years ago I was looking into some stuff from Ohlins, but I am ignorant about what exactly I need. I'm capable of installing components. Does anyone have any recommendations for sources/vendors (preferably site sponsors) that will help me get what I need?

PS- I am working on reducing my weight, but I really don't foresee me getting below 200 lbs. My goal is to be muscular and fit between 200 and 220 lbs.

I had the same issue. I went to Race Tech, and they sell their suspensions parts based on weight, requirements, etc. They also have pretty good Tech Support. I would go to their website. I replaced my front and rear springs, then had it set by a suspension expert. The difference is outstanding! I do a lot of canyon riding and track days when I can, so you can get a feel for the type of riding I do. If you have good fork seals, don't let them talk you into replacing them, it can be done without disturbing them...I did it.

On the street, maybe 80% is getting the right spring. You'll need 1.2 kg/mm. Next is your valving. You can get a race-tech gold valve kit for the compression side like I did and it is a big improvement. If I had to do it over again, I'd send my internal cartridges to Traxxion and let them revalve it (I was working on a very tight budget). They can improve the rebound side as well. Doing your own work this would be less than $400-$425. Next would be to send them (or race-tech) you entire fork tubes and let them install, setup and test for about $100-$125 more. This would truly be about 90% or more improvement. The next step up would be something like the Traxxion AK-20 cartridges. They are silky smooth and really awesome. You could send them your forks and likely get it done for around $1300. I visited Ohlins USA about two months ago and their stuff is awesome, but in my opinion probably wouldn't get you any more street performance. I'm not a good enough rider to appreciate the difference at 2.5x the cost.
Don't forget the rear! They can rebuild your rear shock and install a spring (about an 850 lbs rate) for around $425-$450. I would put this higher on your list than a/m cartridges if you have a budget. Lots of a/m shock upgrade options here as well starting around $750 from traxxion, race-tech, and others. Since I'm your weight, love a good handling bike and have modded multiple busas I'd be happy to help you zero in on making good choices within your budget. As an example; a taller rear tire, gearing change, and some brake upgrades should probably be added to the list before some of the more exotic choices listed.

Back