Gen 1 Turbo Pistons

Terrence

Registered
I'm building a turbo busa and don't know what pistons to go with. One brand has a compression ratio of 9:5:1 and the other 8:7:1. I've been told that the lowest is the best for turbo applications but, all the treads I read have the 9:5:1 pistons in them. I want my hp to be between 250-300 but not sure which piston to choose. Also does anyone know how much hp can the crank handle? Can't seem to find it on the internet

I'm building a turbo busa and don't know what pistons to go with. One brand has a compression ratio of 9:5:1 and the other 8:7:1. I've been told that the lowest is the best for turbo applications but, all the treads I read have the 9:5:1 pistons in them. I want my hp to be between 250-300 but not sure which piston to choose. Also does anyone know how much hp can the crank handle? Can't seem to find it on the internet

The Wossner turbo pistons come gas-ported, moly coated and balanced and have heavy duty wrist pins, things you pay extra for with other companies. We have used these in many different applications and builds, some over 600 rear wheel. They are 9:1 and require a .080" base spacer plate on a Gen 1, and a stock base gasket on a Gen 2 application. Wossner sells them for $640/set, pistons, rings, wrist pins and clips, POWERHOUSE has them for $570/set.

The crank can handle whatever you throw at it, it's the rods that are the problem. I generally would not suggest that you take stock rods much over 300, 325 max. After that, you should run the Wossners or Carrillos . . .

What Frank said.

Bear in mind the lower the compression the less guts the bike will have off boost which is 85% of your riding. Also final compression ratio can be increased or decreased by the engine builder

Thanks for the feedback but I'm actually looking at a set of Conrod Pleuel rods rated at 600-800 hp they seem a little extreme but the price on them right now is awesome and they fit in the stock engine casing I just need to add a base spacer. Is it not a good idea to go with the lower compression? Also would I need to do anything with my valves? The springs seems like a no brainer titanium. To be honest I'm only looking to push about 250 hp but not sure how long I can keep that up with stock internals. I'm thinking later I maybe interested in a 340hp bike and just want to make sure I build it this way the first time.

You may as well leave stock internals in if you run those rods... You wouldn't buy kraco speakers after buying all alpine head unit and amps.. The distortion will be same..Good Luck..

I am going to have a slightly different opinion to the learned ones posting above , If i put aftermarket pistons in then i do rods too ,
Rods are the weak link and i believe putting a heavier piston/pin combo on top does them no favors
Only guy i personally know that brought cheap rods found they were oversize in the big ends and had to get them resized , ended up costing nearly the same as just buying good ones to start with

Back