Gen 1 1999 fairing

Ian1

Registered
Hi,

New to me bike of which the previous owner(s) didn't really have a clue and so I'm slowly trying to sort issues out before getting it all nice and shiny (that might be more difficult as I live in the back of beyond).

Is there supposed to be a bracket holding the bottom rear of both side of the fairing together under the exhaust? Mine is flapping in the breeze and has now subsequently drooped due to heat build up in traffic. I'm not sure if this is because it is a poor condition replacement panel that has been poorly fitted or a something is missing.

Whilst on fairings, does anyone have a spare right hand lower fairing in red and black as fitted on the 1999 model only? Or even a complete set?

Also, any ideas for removing a broken tap which is flush with the frame - again, previous owner(s) and fairing.

Hi,

New to me bike of which the previous owner(s) didn't really have a clue and so I'm slowly trying to sort issues out before getting it all nice and shiny (that might be more difficult as I live in the back of beyond).

Is there supposed to be a bracket holding the bottom rear of both side of the fairing together under the exhaust? Mine is flapping in the breeze and has now subsequently drooped due to heat build up in traffic. I'm not sure if this is because it is a poor condition replacement panel that has been poorly fitted or a something is missing.

Whilst on fairings, does anyone have a spare right hand lower fairing in red and black as fitted on the 1999 model only? Or even a complete set?

Also, any ideas for removing a broken tap which is flush with the frame - again, previous owner(s) and fairing.
Yes there is a bracket. It also incorporates the connector belly fairing.

As TallTom mentioned, there is a bracket. #19 on this diagram is the bracket that brings it together.

canvas.png

An OEM 1999 fairing is as scarce as hen’s teeth. What do you mean “lower” fairing? Just about any year gen 1 fairing piece is also rare if in good shape and for sale. There are aftermarket companies that are making them and (some) I hear, are pretty good. Good luck with the build/rebuild.

www.partzilla.com

Go to the oem section and look up your bike.
You can then go to different parts sections.
From there you will see the exploded schematics, a diagram of all the parts, showing you what goes where.
You can also order any of these parts that aren't discontinued.
But, it is a quick way to see if something is missing or not.
man ?

where ever u ask - here in germany - absolutely no chance to get new plastics 4 the gen1 ´99-´07 - all sold out - no new ones available - worldwide - that's the information from my suzuki dealer 1 year ago

the only chance is ebay or so - with lill scratches somewhere

man ?

where ever u ask - here in germany - absolutely no chance to get new plastics 4 the gen1 ´99-´07 - all sold out - no new ones available - worldwide - that's the information from my suzuki dealer 1 year ago

the only chance is ebay or so - with lill scratches somewhere

Well, although he (was) asking precisely for a black and red 99 fairing piece, or the set, I doubt he actually thought someone had a new unused OEM set. Imagine having such a set of fairings preserved nicely in a closet all these years, what they might fetch from a collector?

Well, although he (was) asking precisely for a black and red 99 fairing piece, or the set, I doubt he actually thought someone had a new unused OEM set. Imagine having such a set of fairings preserved nicely in a closet all these years, what they might fetch from a collector?

lol...sounds like @Kiwi Rider , with his black/red '99 set stored away

For the broken tap
Soak with penatrating oil
Heat the frame(not the tap) with a propane torch or map gas(if possible).
Use a center punch and a hammer to hit and turn the tap counter clockwise...oh...and Good Luck...broken taps can spin right out...or will be in the frame forever, lol
I’ve had success drilling into broke off taps with a tungsten carbide steel drill bit.
It took some time, effort and patience but the TC drill bit was harder than the broken tap and it cleared it out.

lol...sounds like @Kiwi Rider , with his black/red '99 set stored away
Yeah, ok. . . But mine aren’t exactly pristine condition, with 75,000kms on them.. no cracks or repair damage though.
When I removed the aftermarket ABS plastic tank cover after 7 years I was worried the original paint on the tank would be scratched with rubbing damage, but not so. Just dusty and I washed and polished it, came up like the day I fitted the ABS cover !
Pretty happy bout that!

The thing to do with a new dirt bike, was to carefully bring it home. Strip the OEM plastic kit off for resale time. Then bolt on an aftermarket kit or two as wanton destruction dictated.

Back