Gas tank with gas

mzrsq

Busaless
Donating Member
Registered
Ok, first, I'm probably jumping the gun, but want to make sure all my ducks are in row.

I'm looking to do a bunch of work this saturday and beside removing all the plastic, was thinking I might want to remove the tank also so t's easier to work on.

So whats the easiest way to remove the tank with a full tank of gas?

I've had the plastic off before, but never the tank.

Drain it... That's the easiest way... By the time you fumble around trying to pull off a line and plug it, you could have drained the tank and took it off I'd imagine...
rock.gif

you could go either way...it ain't that big of a deal. It could be a heckuva lot more cumbersome with a full tank of gas, so you could drain it.

Removed mine with about a quarter tank of gas. Wasn't all that bad...except in retrospect I probably wouldn't have done it at night time.

Yep, buy one of those common hand pumps from any auto store for like 4 bucks then drain it first.

Just take it out and ride it for a couple hours at top speed before you start!
laugh.gif

I like the riding idea also, but, what about that 10 inches of snow on the ground?

Thanks for the input, guess we'll see tomorrow!
wow.gif

I like the riding idea also, but, what about that 10 inches of snow on the ground?

Thanks for the input, guess we'll see tomorrow!
wow.gif
Get a shovel and remove the snow in a track around the block... then with a long extension cord use a blow dryer to dry the road surface... the you can ride around the block on the Busa and drain the tank.... (you did ask about the 10" of snow)

Now what about the 10 tons of salt on the road. If I just opened my mouth really wide I'd never need to salt a frenchfry again............
laugh.gif

I took most of the gas outta mine with a regular ole hose, just suck on it like a straw till it taste like crap.. hehe

plus ya get high.

Guys,

I just pulled my tank off today and you do NOT have to drain it - Johnny Cheese helped me out on this one - 2003 and later have quick disconnect plugs that seal after you disconnect them - you will only drain a tablespoon of gas.

I removed the gas line - quick disconnect - unhooked the electrical connector - removed the 4 bolts holding the tank on - and it was off.

Kent

what exactly work are u gonna do that is gonna require the tank to remove anyhow???
I'm not sure I'll necessarily need to remove the tank, just thought the whole process might be easier.

The entire list for tomorrow (or this weekend)

Engine Ice
Silkolene
HID Install
Scorpio Install
Speed-o-Healer Install (custom with remote recall buttons)
European right switch assembly with headlamp on/off switch

The deal is, I don't want to stick all these items in the trunk area, carry enough crap there now, so I was figuring on looking for extra space under the front seat/tank area.

Also have a 43 tooth sprocket (haven't received yet) and EK zvx 530 chain to install.

I need to cut side panels and install sliders.

Plus I need to remove the brake hanger and rear wheel spacers for powdercoat. Along with the fairing screens.

Install a NEW windscreen after assembly upon receiving yellow highbeam bulb from ICE.
rock.gif

And still looking at this whole ZAINO deal and trying to decide if I want to make that much effort to mkae her shine.  (just seems like alot of work with all those different coats.

I think that just about covers it.

Nope, concidering some type of illumiglo gauge thing while she's all apart, but not sure there yet on what I want.

<!--EDIT|mzrsq
Reason for Edit: None given...|1109993669 -->

Guys,

I just pulled my tank off today and you do NOT have to drain it - Johnny Cheese helped me out on this one - 2003 and later have quick disconnect plugs that seal after you disconnect them - you will only drain a tablespoon of gas.

I removed the gas line - quick disconnect - unhooked the electrical connector - removed the 4 bolts holding the tank on - and it was off.

Kent
Hey Kent,

If this is true, that's the information I was hoping for. Thank you very much.

Is the quick disconnect obvious?

Thanks again Ksheldon,

I pulled the tank using the quick disconnect (there's actually 2, one at each end, could choose either). The tank dripped very little gas upon breaking the disconnect then was good to go.

Very simple in the end, Actually feeding the fuel vent/overflow lines back through the frame was harder than removing the actual tank itself.

Thank Again.

Sounds like you got a lot done this weekend. Can't wait to see the pics of it all when the powdercoat is done.

Sounds like you got a lot done this weekend.  Can't wait to see the pics of it all when the powdercoat is done.
What BigBS said. Man you've got a lot of work going on. Almost like you're building a whole notha' bike.
biggrin.gif
Then again, it's probably best that you're knocking everything out all at once. Good luck!

Back