Full throttle through 1st & 2nd

How many times full throttle from standing to red line 1st & 2nd gear?

• Almost never

Votes: 173 47.3%
  • Occasionally

Votes: 103 28.1%
  • Often

Votes: 37 10.1%
  • At least once every ride

Votes: 39 10.7%
  • All the time

Votes: 14 3.8%

• Total voters
I started with a new 1973 Yamaha RD 350............i was 22 then.....many bikes since then.
Finally when John Burns wrote the test on the 99 Busa i knew someday i would have to get one....Then a couple of years later i saw a brand new blue silver at the dealer....When i finally did get a low mileage 01....Lets back up abit...every bike i have had would get it's throttle pinned as often as it was safe.....But boy o boy....even with all the riding experiance from the past ...... The mighty Busa and me took quite awhile to adapt ....prolly at least close to 3 years.....this thing is Godzilla!!! Now after owning it for TEN years....it still is......On every ride at least somewhere i do fully pinnit 1st 2nd 3rd.......etc.
Amazing machine to say the least........I have no thoughts of ever selling it...60th B-day July 2011......It's the mistakes that hurt.....Learn the bike..take your time...one of my worst crashes was on a 1 HP Moped when i was 16.... :laugh:

I guess maybe I misread the thread before voting but, I only go WOT when I am getting on the freeway or am allready on the freeway. Never in town. I would be doing prolly 75 in a 25 in no time flat.

I have hit redline in all gears starting with 2nd before, made 186 come up real fast.

After the bike is turned on, I immediately go full throttle and dump the clutch (Nothing bad could ever come of this). After that, I just put on my throttle lock to keep her wide open untill I get to my destination. I once rode the Dragon full throttle the whole way....true story.....:rofl:

It is almost impossible to hurt these engines riding them on public streets. Gotta have some fun revealing what performance you have hidden within the right grip. If your concerned about doing it on the public roads then hit a track at least once.

20080905strip2.jpg

smokin.jpg

I'm still trying to learn how much to slip the clutch for the launch.. Have not had the chance to go to the drags yet either. So out on the plains i go and play some times.

i can only get about 3/4 throttle in first before the front wheel starts to lift.. full throttle would be bad. i usually shift around 8k if i'm in a hurry, 2nd i can go full throttle but it tops out at 110mph, so i dont do that often.

Well Im 6' 2", ~255 lbs, and live at high altitude. So maybe my WOT 1st and 2nd isnt as scary as some of you guys... I have never had issues keeping the front down, cus my bigass sure does weigh it down.... But I tell you, WOT 1st and 2nd is such a rush... Coming onto a freeway, or a wide open traffic-less road? Hell yeah!

So surprised at the massive number of people who dont (or havent ever) go WOT... Such a shame. What a waste.

I pin the throttle almost EVERY time I ride. Usually the 2nd gear roll on up to 4th. Sometimes I go 3/4 in first to about 7000 to 8000rpm, shift into 2nd and whack it WFO. That is down right fun!!!:cheerleader:

I remember one weekend I went through all 6 gears all the way to the red line and did it 11 times...even bounced the rev limiter a couple of times.

Man, can't wait to do that again.:thumbsup:

Well Im 6' 2", ~255 lbs, and live at high altitude. So maybe my WOT 1st and 2nd isnt as scary as some of you guys... I have never had issues keeping the front down, cus my bigass sure does weigh it down.... But I tell you, WOT 1st and 2nd is such a rush... Coming onto a freeway, or a wide open traffic-less road? Hell yeah!

So surprised at the massive number of people who dont (or havent ever) go WOT... Such a shame. What a waste.

I know how that is. I live in Albuquerque and have only ridden at high altitude. At 6'4 250 lbs I am not as impressed with my 09 as some others are (although I think this bike is AMAZING). My front wheel will come up at around 9000 rpm in first and second if I sit back on the seat and let it. Normally I lean forward and batten down the hatches when I let her rip. Of course a quick roll off and snap of the throttle will bring up the front in 1&2. Looking forward to the first ride at less than 5000 ft. It will be like a whole new ride!:laugh:

Your Hayabusa at 7000' above sea level, if not turbocharged or supercharged, produces roughly 75% of the power it would if you lived in, for example, Boston.

Since your bike effectively produces 1000 cc's worth of power (or, if one prefers, produces three cylinder's worth of power instead of four), but hauls around the same amount of mass, it's easy to understand why you don't have any issues going W.O.T.

Our hypothetical rider and Hayabusa in Boston only has to open the throttle 3/4 to produce the same power you do in Los Alamos at w.o.t. I'm not at all surprised by the "massive number of people who don't go WOT" in first or second, but I can understand how your experience with your bike where you live would lead you to write that.

Altitude is a big problem for normally-aspirated engines. Forced induction is the only cure.

I know how that is. I live in Albuquerque and have only ridden at high altitude. At 6'4 250 lbs I am not as impressed with my 09 as some others are (although I think this bike is AMAZING). My front wheel will come up at around 9000 rpm in first and second if I sit back on the seat and let it. Normally I lean forward and batten down the hatches when I let her rip. Of course a quick roll off and snap of the throttle will bring up the front in 1&2. Looking forward to the first ride at less than 5000 ft. It will be like a whole new ride!:laugh:

Same thing here, but to a smaller degree. Your Hayabusa is producing about 85% of the power it would if you lived in Boston.

Same thing here, but to a smaller degree. Your Hayabusa is producing about 85% of the power it would if you lived in Boston.

I think the Busas found between Myrtle Beach and Virgina Beach are more powerful and much faster than those in Boston. :laugh:

Back