Fuelling probs

golfpro

Registered
895B767A-2C80-41C4-80D9-E643AD5D0BE3.jpeg

Hi guys, Gary from Maidstone
895B767A-2C80-41C4-80D9-E643AD5D0BE3.jpeg
hoping for some help before stripping down lots of stuff, recently purchased this beauty so don’t have much history, it’s been running lovely, 260 mile run on Sunday, used all day Monday with no probs until heading home, bike started fine then spluttered and died, wouldn’t restart, middle of nowhere with limited tools, cranking fine not firing, plenty of fuel but it had got low during the day although ran fine after fill up.
Next day cold morning, pulled cold start, bike started on the button and ran with no hesitation, left running for 15 mins no probs, trying revving it, spluttered and died.
Does it sound like fuel starvation/ filters blocked or pump gone, Would engine start with just gravity fuel or does it definitely need pump working, can’t hear pump priming, any help appreciated in best sequence rather that stripping everything down

Welcome...

What year is the bike? This will determine what type of fuel pump it has...

As it is new to you, has it sat for any length of time?

Generally any issues such as this sounds like fueling...it could have sucked up crud from the bottom of the tank if it ran low which would plug up the filters gradually..

I'd change out the spark plugs as well-sometimes they run odd if the plugs aren't up to snuff...

Welcome...

What year is the bike? This will determine what type of fuel pump it has...

As it is new to you, has it sat for any length of time?

Generally any issues such as this sounds like fueling...it could have sucked up crud from the bottom of the tank if it ran low which would plug up the filters gradually..

I'd change out the spark plugs as well-sometimes they run odd if the plugs aren't up to snuff...
Thanks for reply, sorry forgot to put year, it’s a 99, I’ve had it a few months and put quite a few miles on it with no probs

If you clean out the entire fuel system from the tank to the injectors you’ll have no more trouble for a long time.... I have a 99 model with external fuel pump and I have been through exactly what you are experiencing with the fuel system.
I overhauled my fuel system top to bottom including having the injectors cleaned and tested, new fuel pump motor, new filter, and
I now have zero issues and also learned a lot about the Hayabusa and it’s weaknesses.

If you clean out the entire fuel system from the tank to the injectors you’ll have no more trouble for a long time.... I have a 99 model with external fuel pump and I have been through exactly what you are experiencing with the fuel system.
I overhauled my fuel system top to bottom including having the injectors cleaned and tested, new fuel pump motor, new filter, and
I now have zero issues and also learned a lot about the Hayabusa and it’s weaknesses.
Many thanks for help and info, I’ll start diving into it

@SSGT_B just did his fuel system using the above method. You have an external pump, but I believe the method is the same...just a little more unbolting since yours will be in a metal housing.
If nothing else: it's pretty cheap to unbolt the tank+injectors and clean them out.

Thanks for reply, sorry forgot to put year, it’s a 99,(...)

that´s it - a typical ´99 (and early ´00) issue
if the tank is still the ´99 or ´00 but only painted

lift the tank and inspect the fuel hoses - i guess, no i´m 99% sure, that you´ll find these my experiances
absolutely standard issue at all ´99 and early ´00

see also the attached pdf ;)

if that pdf doesn´t help look for the filters in your fuel pump and inside tank - may be clogged over the years by dirt.

but for this job you NEED the manual

and whenever you post again a tech. issue never forget to mention it´s a ´99

at the end - :welcome: at the .org with that nice RIZLA bike :thumbsup:

Attachments

• Hayabusa Gen1 MANUAL - ´00 - extension.pdf
    299.3 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

sorry that link shows the internal pump at all later than ´01 (y.o.c.)
so it won´t help if the RIZZLA stil has the ´99 (or ´00) tank ;)

View attachment 1634230
Hi guys, Gary from Maidstone View attachment 1634230hoping for some help before stripping down lots of stuff, recently purchased this beauty so don’t have much history, it’s been running lovely, 260 mile run on Sunday, used all day Monday with no probs until heading home, bike started fine then spluttered and died, wouldn’t restart, middle of nowhere with limited tools, cranking fine not firing, plenty of fuel but it had got low during the day although ran fine after fill up.
Next day cold morning, pulled cold start, bike started on the button and ran with no hesitation, left running for 15 mins no probs, trying revving it, spluttered and died.
Does it sound like fuel starvation/ filters blocked or pump gone, Would engine start with just gravity fuel or does it definitely need pump working, can’t hear pump priming, any help appreciated in best sequence rather that stripping everything down
9734FDFF-298E-4543-AD33-53C4FBEACCF2.jpeg

Well I’m no expert but this doesn’t look right, thanks for all the info on stripping thing down guys, the rest of the system looks remarkably clean, almost to the point of everything has been replaced/cleaned except this filter, I’ll double check everything before it goes back together but fingers crossed this was the problem

97ACB1F8-CB59-4E18-8495-1F2DD3E61F3D.jpeg

Think it’s seen better days, don’t think I’ll bother trying to clean it lol.
Could it be the original one from 99?
Strange that everything else is spotless

filter from ´99? yes why not?
no one cares when the bike is running.

everything else spotless?
meanest laugh as possible. :(

i bet - figuratively speaking - everything i own :
if you open the fork you´ll cry out for a puke bucket (if the oil / seals never been replaced in the last 10 years or longer, what i expect)
and
if you pull the swing arm & rear cushion lever (where shock & rods are mounted at) and if you
1st look
and 2nd smell
at the bearings , you´ll cry out again for a puke bucket (if the bearings never been new greased in the last 10 years or longer, what i expect).

a strong stench will emanate from both points (fork & swing arm bearings) - close to a sewer´s stench.

filter from ´99? yes why not?
no one cares when the bike is running.

everything else spotless?
meanest laugh as possible. :(

i bet - figuratively speaking - everything i own :
if you open the fork you´ll cry out for a puke bucket (if the oil / seals never been replaced in the last 10 years or longer, what i expect)
and
if you pull the swing arm & rear cushion lever (where shock & rods are mounted at) and if you
1st look
and 2nd smell
at the bearings , you´ll cry out again for a puke bucket (if the bearings never been new greased in the last 10 years or longer, what i expect).

a strong stench will emanate from both points (fork & swing arm bearings) - close to a sewer´s stench.
I don’t doubt you a bikes maintenance issues and abuses, I’ve certainly not got into it yet with this bike but my comment was purely about the rest of the fuel system being very clean, the filter in the tank is absolutely clear and the tiny mesh filter in the external pump is like new, strange when everyone else’s photos show those as getting excessively clogged.
Thanks for the heads up on what the future holds for me with forks and swingarm

Back