FRONT BRAKES

rc51ny

Donating Member
Registered
OK--here's the situation. I installed new front and rear pads over the winter. I've now got about 2,000 miles on 'em. I have lots of drag on the front. When I've got it up on the stands, I can turn the wheel, but it takes a fair amount of effort. I've pulled the brakes and everything seems to be installed OK. Also, brakes seem to be operate OK. It's almost like the pads aren't sliding back after being used. So, I need advise--what's UP? Do I need to wear more of the pad or what? Thanks for your info.

Your brake pad won't come very far off the rotor if the rotor is true. Realy there is only milimeters of gap between the rotor and the brake pad. This is a hard question, what eaxtly do you mean by a fair amount of effort. Do you have to pull the tire to turn or can you put your hand on it and snap it pretty good and the tire will spin and stop. Have you thought about checking your torque specs on your front axle? Just a thought.

Whatever you do...DO-NOT overfill your resivor with dragging pads.
I found out the hard way....

(brendanp @ Jun. 11 2007,06:34) Whatever you do...DO-NOT overfill your resivor with dragging pads.
I found out the hard way....
+1. And take the calipers off and clean the pistons good. There could be a buildup of brake dust from bedding in the pads. Especially if you ride in the wet.

(SpeedAdict @ Jun. 11 2007,07:03) Your brake pad won't come very far off the rotor if the rotor is true. Realy there is only milimeters of gap between the rotor and the brake pad. This is a hard question, what eaxtly do you mean by a fair amount of effort. Do you have to pull the tire to turn or can you put your hand on it and snap it pretty good and the tire will spin and stop. Have you thought about checking your torque specs on your front axle? Just a thought.
Yea, I have to "pull" the tire around. If I give it a "snap" it won't spin. I'm think I'm gonna pull the brakes again, and clean the sliding pins. It just seems like the brakes are partially applied. I can turn the wheel, but it takes a good effort. The rear is fine--it will spin right around. I know if sounds stupid, but it's driving me crazy!!!

Clean the rotors first! I'll bet it spins much better after that.
all_coholic.gif

I´ve got the same proplem the front tire is a little stiff and the brake pads seem to press a little on the rotors I think the brakes will not go back far enough and I need advice how to clean the brakes, I´ts to much noise from the brakes when driving Had a 2006 Fazer 1000 and this was never a proplem I ride in all weather conditions except snow ;) so maybe dirt is affecting the brakes ?

if the brakes are dragging: you need to determine if it is hydraulic pressure issue, or a binding caliper issue. a simple test is to open the bleeder when it is "dragging." if fluid is released under pressure, and the wheel then spins you know it is a master cylinder issue. if the drag remains... binding caliper(s(more than likely one, not both.)).

if you do rebuild the calipers... do both.

Just a though but sounding loke it might not be all to do with brakes. How are the wheels spinning with pads off. I just changed my front bearings and i have seen something like this on my 03 GSXR 1000 but it was rotor warp. You might need to check rotor while wheel is spinning for wobbles . Just a though.???

Back