French Wage War on SUV

...SUV's owners would pay a gas guzzler tax just like all the people who own high end luxury or exotic sports cars.  You have all these pretend SUV's like the Navigators and Escalades which are nothing more than bloated luxury cars and yet they're exempt from a Gass Guzzler tax.  What makes them so special?

Of course REAL SUV's that are used for a real purpose like job site work or on a farm would be exempt from this tax.  If you try to buck the system there will be serious IRS type penalties such as permanently impounding and auctioning off the SUV like a drug dealers car along with jail time...
I completely second this. For the record, (just for those that haven't noticed what I said earlier) I have NO problem with truly ultilitarian SUVs. Meaning you truly need a SUV for your livihood (hauling something, towing something) or it's majority recreational justified (towing your boat, hauling your dirt bike or ATV every other weekend).

Sorry to say, because it will undoubtly offend some of you, but if it don't have dirt on it, and it's all blinged out, then you don't need it. Even if you can have it... But at the cost to others.

So i guess my Bud's 05' Diesel Expedition riding on 44's would be a bad thing?  I'm gonna drive what i want, when i want. There are other power sources out there, wanna know why we don't have any? Our government prevents it. Alot of rich people would lose money if an alternate source was discovered.

All i hear is blah,blah,blah save gas or hug a tree, yet no one has stopped the demolition of the rain forests. There will come a time when the people of this planet will be forced to find other sources of power.

I give the gasoline engine another 25 years.

So i guess my Bud's 05' Diesel Expedition riding on 44's would be a bad thing?  I'm gonna drive what i want, when i want. There are other power sources out there, wanna know why we don't have any? Our government prevents it. Alot of rich people would lose money if an alternate source was discovered.

All i hear is blah,blah,blah save gas or hug a tree, yet no one has stopped the demolition of the rain forests. There will come a time when the people of this planet will be forced to find other sources of power.

I give the gasoline engine another 25 years.
I completely agree with you. Not to sound like Fox Mulder, but there are powers that be that are crippling the Joe Public and the environment (dare I say that??).

I can't remember when, but I heard that electric/hybrid vehicles were actually invented decades ago. But why is it just being introduced now? Some say that the oil companies had a "influence" on the car manufacturers, others think that the technology was not refined at that time. I tend to think the former.

Here's another thing, something I and Busahaya know WAY too much about: The lack of good public transportation in Los Angeles. I remember that there were plans almost a decade ago to drastically improve mass transportation in L.A. But for some reason it just "faded" away. Did the oil companies and car manufacturers have a influence on that "fading away"? One will never know for sure, except for those that were involved. But you have to admit, it's not a far fetched idea. What's paying off a few politicians totallying in the tens of millions of $$$ when billions of $$$ are at stake with the vehicle sales and oil sales on the line? Sheeet! I wouldn't be surprised if the car manufacturers and oil companies POOLed their monies to "influence" the politicians.

You really think you're driving "what you want"? Coming from a marketing and branding background I AM certain that you're not. You're driving what the marketing people have told you is hip, trending, safe, "useful", basically "in". Don't hate the marketing group, they're just doing their jobs to make a living. But there's two types of marketing people: Type #1 are those that discovers/understand a need and create a solution (product or service) to fulfill it; Type #2 are those that CREATE and need and then a solution to fulfill it.

Don't believe me? For those old enough (alright, all you old farts know who you are), think about the CD. You think you KNEW you needed CDs back in the days of cassette tapes? You were happy with the sound quality, and the highest tech you've seen was auto reverse and auto "music search".

Some of you obviously don't agree with me. But do yourself and your intelligence a favor by putting aside your bias for a second and consider. There are some pretty plausible points that I make, EVEN if it disagrees with your personal belief. In other words, put your ego in check or on hold for a second. I did by admitting that there are some values and truely useful purposes to SUVs.

The saddest, most ridiculous arguement I heard most of you say is that "You drive what you want, because this is the good o' US of A", others just plan out resorted to name calling and personal and character attack on me, instead of finding VALID points to refute my point of views. You think you gain credible points by simply saying that I'm a moron and that my point of views are the dumbest (for those that are more intelligent, ridiculeous was the word you used) that you've ever read/heard? Tell me WHY. List it out in bullet points to separate your points from your senseless emotional babbling about how you want to ship off all of the "cowards to France". Diesel, this especially goes for you.

You said you don't like cowards, well, what the hell you think YOU are? Not admitting you're off the mark while obviously your shots aren't even in the same field seems pretty chicken-sh*t to me. It takes a brave man to admit his flaws or flaw points of view. It takes a brave person to sacrafice his/her own selfish, self serving, self pleasing, actions and desires for the greater good of the whole or others. So what does that make you, with your own desire to drive a gas hogging, road hazardeous SUV to others on the road, just because this is "America, and I drive what I can, and what I can afford" reasoning? Come Diesel, let's hear it.

Actually i build my vehicles. I'm a hotrodder, we're the first recyclers in taking old cars and making them new. Currently i'm redoing a Lowered/blinged 70' Chevy C10 with a FI'd 350 with overdrive. It will be my daily ride.

<!--EDIT|GMbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1129512190 -->

Back