Flushing the radiator

crepitus

Registered
I want to flush my cooling system. Ihave done this 100 times on a car but never on a bike. After i drain all the antifreeze can i just fill it with tap water and run it? then drain that and refill? Is it necessary to use distilled water to flush? What about to fill the system, do i need distilled for that?

I downloaded the manual posted but that doesnt even mention anything about flushing, unless i missed it.

I think what you described is just fine. On the last fill, I would use distilled water. Less than a buck in a supermarket.
__
Igor
<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:darkred'>HumpMod.com</span> <span style='color:darkred'>- The easy way</span></span>

<!--EDIT|IG.
Reason for Edit: None given...|1116779256 -->

Don't use tap water IMOP.... Use a mixture of distilled water and distilled white vinegar! Fill and flush Twice! On the second run through only use distilled water. Besure and burp the radiator... When you think she's full, slosh the mixture around by sitting on the bike and rocking it back and forth (side to side). Be sure and start the bike when its full and bring the bike up to temp but not over, just needs to warm up so the thermostat opens up! Don't want any trapped pockets of old fluid left in the bike.... Cool down takes sometime, then repeat!

<!--EDIT|ks-waterbug
Reason for Edit: "typo"|1116818923 -->

the waterbug nailed it. You can get alot of the air out by squeezing one of the hoses(bottom one) too.

If yer last half of the fill is poured in slowly with the bike running,you'll get less air in there aswell, just like yer 100 cars.

hav a cool 1...RSD.

Don't use tap water IMOP.... Use a mixture of distilled water and distilled white vinegar! Fill and flush Twice! On the second run through only use distilled water. Besure and burp the radiator... When you think she's full, slosh the mixture around by sitting on the bike and rocking it back and forth (side to side). Be sure and start the bike when its full and bring the bike up to temp but not over, just needs to warm up so the thermostat opens up! Don't want any trapped pockets of old fluid left in the bike.... Cool down takes sometime, then repeat!
whats the ratio of water to vinegar?

Also what about powered Spic and Span to flush and clean out the cooling system?

Also what about powered Spic and Span to flush and clean out the cooling system?
Are you losing your mind.....?
Radiator holds roughly 64oz
Tap water! Never to many minerals or other things to gum up the system.
Rubbing acohol... Are these questions serious?
And finally Spic n span, ROTFLMAO.....

I had to do this a few months ago and used KS-waterbug's advice. Not a problem.
I went to the local shop and they said that what I did was more than enough, they just drain and fill.
Personally I feel better knowing that I did the best.

Thanks ks-waterbug.

ok so this is what i am going to go with. 25% water 25% vinegar 25% spic and span and 25% alcohol. think i will use jim bean.

<!--EDIT|crepitus
Reason for Edit: None given...|1116856173 -->

I had to do this a few months ago and used KS-waterbug's advice.  Not a problem.
I went to the local shop and they said that what I did was more than enough, they just drain and fill.  
Personally I feel better knowing that I did the best.

Thanks ks-waterbug.
Glad it worked for you..... Nice to know I can give a little back to the Org.

Are you losing your mind.....?
Radiator holds roughly 64oz
Tap water! Never to many minerals or other things to gum up the system.
Rubbing acohol... Are these questions serious?
And finally Spic n span, ROTFLMAO.....
Serious, I was told long ago you could use spic and span in a radiator though it was about car ones not motorcycles... Was just cruious to know if it could be used to clean/flush a system is all... though I never used it and all... As far as alcohol is concerned was curious if that would surfice as well vinegar. As far as treated water still not good huh??? totally best is go with Distilled?

Back