First Track Day

Bike looks great btw, what kind of yellow tape is that? Did you pull your fuses, and if so, did you pull the one that kills the position lights but also the gauges?
I used painters tape, didn't pull the position fuse, and the tape still came off easy. It also started coming off when I was hauling it to the track though.

Thanks TNT. I used painters tape, didn't pull fuses. Just taped her up and off I went. I see the track as a different sort of riding but I think knowing the ultimate limits of your bike will inform the choices you make on the street. The track is fun and you can do things there you can't do on most streets. But good body position and throttle control are always useful. I don't want to become the track day cult leader but it was a fun and useful experience.

BTW TNT. I too tend to exit corners gingerly and this habit really was a disadvantage on track. Not sure where to go with that because my style in this respect was developed to minimize risk on the street. Been thinking a Bazzaz TC might be the way to go if I'm going to ride the track with the Busa a lot.

Arch, if you are searching for a means of improving your lap times on the fat chick, work on corner exits. That is where you'll reduce your lap times by the largest margin. It's also the place where you will learn to pass riders with ease. The biggest advantage you have (The only advantage actually) is horsepower. Use it to your advantage. This is accomplished through line choice. Most preppy track day enthusiast refer to this as "Late Apex", us hillbillies simply call it "Point & Shoot". Carry your line deeper into the corner before tossing that heifer on her lips quickly and get her back up on her feet with the throttle against the stop and you'll come off the corner like a gut shot cat. The additional speed you get from early throttle means you carry that speed all the way to the next corner. By squaring off the corner and getting your bike pointed up the inside you'll be able to pass those smaller bikes who depend on corner speed. You will be hard on the throttle while they are still leaned over and unable to accelerate.

Next track day, snare yourself a track coach and ask him/her to show you how to square off your corner (Late apex/Point & shoot). If they have no idea what you are asking of them, find a different coach.

If you are serious about the track, invest in good tires. Dunlop Q2 or Q3's are an excellent choice (My favorite for street & track). Have fun my friend! :cheerleader:

I run the Q3's and love them. They feel better than the Michelins at low pressures IMHO. I was thinking of getting a private coach for a couple sessions next time.

Arch, if you are searching for a means of improving your lap times on the fat chick, work on corner exits. That is where you'll reduce your lap times by the largest margin. It's also the place where you will learn to pass riders with ease. The biggest advantage you have (The only advantage actually) is horsepower. Use it to your advantage. This is accomplished through line choice. Most preppy track day enthusiast refer to this as "Late Apex", us hillbillies simply call it "Point & Shoot". Carry your line deeper into the corner before tossing that heifer on her lips quickly and get her back up on her feet with the throttle against the stop and you'll come off the corner like a gut shot cat. The additional speed you get from early throttle means you carry that speed all the way to the next corner. By squaring off the corner and getting your bike pointed up the inside you'll be able to pass those smaller bikes who depend on corner speed. You will be hard on the throttle while they are still leaned over and unable to accelerate.

Next track day, snare yourself a track coach and ask him/her to show you how to square off your corner (Late apex/Point & shoot). If they have no idea what you are asking of them, find a different coach.

If you are serious about the track, invest in good tires. Dunlop Q2 or Q3's are an excellent choice (My favorite for street & track). Have fun my friend! :cheerleader:

Arch: I can't begin to tell you how much help Tuf was to me when I started track riding (and still is for which I am extremely grateful). He knows what he's talking about..

Most coaches don't necessarily teach the 'power line'; most are actually teaching the "600 line", where corner speed for lighter bikes with less horsepower available can get around the quickest - just about the opposite of the Busa (and most literbikes). That coach that's telling you to hammer the throttle coming out of the turn, while you are still leaned way over (and depending on what RPM range you are in) is giving you great advice for a highside. What you really want is a linear, smooth steady turn of the throttle so that when your bike is stood up straight, you are also at full throttle...ESPECIALLY until you've done a few hundred laps and have gained some feel for how your bike is going to behave. The exit is where your Busa will shine. MOST crashes I see in Novice are riders who try to enter too hot - and pay the consequences. Have a good entry, get your bike squared up, and show em what you got on the EXIT.

Now, comes the cautionary tale (because this is what I PERSONALLY did..): After my first or second day, I got a little cocky - and that was my downfall. You do NOT want to wad up that purty bike of yours, so take BABY STEPS and GRADUALLY learn new tricks. Just because you got passed doesn't mean anything - you aren't racing them. When they wad their stuff up and sulk out of there, you may be putting your shiny bike on your trailer thinking "thank goodness I didn't push my luck". I've had a lot of friends in skydiving, and I've seen a lot of them hurt and out of the sport because they tried TOO much TOO soon...learn from others mistakes instead of your own..

And the only way to learn is - keep doing it...

P.S. At the track, our event director will usually say the following as part of his spiel:

"Ok, so, who's never ridden on a track before? Ok, close your eyes"
"Everybody whose ever crashed on a track raise your hands" - EVERYBODY raises their hands
"Ok, put your hands down, and you can open your eyes now"...

The point being - Odds are eventually you may crash - don't let it be in your first trackdays! I crashed 2X in my 2nd year when I got cocky, but I haven't since...

P.S. At the track, our event director will usually say the following as part of his spiel:

"Ok, so, who's never ridden on a track before? Ok, close your eyes"
"Everybody whose ever crashed on a track raise your hands" - EVERYBODY raises their hands
"Ok, put your hands down, and you can open your eyes now"...

The point being - Odds are eventually you may crash - don't let it be in your first trackdays! I crashed 2X in my 2nd year when I got cocky, but I haven't since...

Nice thing about doing this at 53 instead of 23 is I know when to say when! I generally stay well within my limits.

You and I are the same age Arch. I keep teasing Jay that I'm twice as old, twice as fat, but can still show him my wheel when I want to bad enough, and when he's my age to look back on this time and remember someone at this age could still keep up with his young punk-azz...well, at least until the last year...now I'm just making the case for a handicap :)

The dang kid rides like Ben Spies...

You and I are the same age Arch. I keep teasing Jay that I'm twice as old, twice as fat, but can still show him my wheel when I want to bad enough, and when he's my age to look back on this time and remember someone at this age could still keep up with his young punk-azz...well, at least until the last year...now I'm just making the case for a handicap :)

The dang kid rides like Ben Spies...

Keith, where your different from what Willie says is that you don't know when to say when! You just keep on doing and getting faster and faster and faster and faster and faster....... :)

He hasn't crashed yet, has he? :whistle:

Sure have!! Still have the duct tape on the right side of the Sharksinz to prove it....... And a big leather patch on the right buttcheek of my suit :)

Also dropped 2 seconds per lap since then too :moon: :laugh:

Keith, where your different from what Willie says is that you don't know when to say when! You just keep on doing and getting faster and faster and faster and faster and faster....... :)

He doesn't have this punk that keeps showing him a lap timer.... :)

The thing I've got left to give you what for, is to get mad at it...and I'm doing a good job not letting my anger get the best of my good judgement (so far) :)

In all honesty Jay, I've enjoyed every minute of playing Rossi to your Marquez :)

Sure have!! Still have the duct tape on the right side of the Sharksinz to prove it....... And a big leather patch on the right buttcheek of my suit :)

Also dropped 2 seconds per lap since then too :moon: :laugh:

Once he scuffed his plastics up, the inhibition came down....

P.S. You should have seen how many sessions I went out in last month (but none of them were A) :)

Not sure. Money is very tight now as we are having a time replacing Uncle Sam as a customer. Not sure when or if that will change anytime soon. I might have to vote republic so we can get back to good old colonialism.

In the event a big guy (6'2" @ 265) was going to buy a track only bike, what are some good options?

Back