FIRST TIMER!! How to load Bike into Pick-Up?

PJ267

Registered
Never loaded a bike into a truck. I have a small Toyota pick and I wanted to know the best way to load and strap the bike in. I was thinking of using some wood planks and using the Baxely Sport Choke and then strapping. Need some detailed help? I'm worried about riding the bike on the ramps whats the trick? Seems scary! Thanks

couple of guys will post up. Just saw a thread couple weeks ago about ROBOT building one etc...
The baxley's on our want list !!!With the baxley you should only need straps on the bracket of the passenger footpegs, bringing them forward towards center..
Years ago when I had a ninja and a ford ranger, I found a little knoll I could line the truck with and ride bike right on. The ramp thing would bother me.....

Good luck !!

take away as much of the angle of the ramp as possible....park in a ditch...or if there is a bike shop around ride the bike and have someone else take the truck and use their loading ramp.

Strapping?? Not sure, I never used my truck for the bike...borrow a trailer.

take away as much of the angle of the ramp as possible....park in a ditch...or if there is a bike shop around ride the bike and have someone else take the truck and use their loading ramp.

Strapping??  Not sure, I never used my truck for the bike...borrow a trailer.
+1, -decrease dramma when ever possible....

I'm worried about riding the bike on the ramps whats the trick? Seems scary! Thanks
The longer the ramp the easier it is. I have a 10ft ramp and have no problem riding it up onto my Avalanche.

http://www.motorcycleramps.com/motorcyclehd_ramps.htm

I also use ramps similar to these.

http://www.discountramps.com/HD_car_ramps.jpg

http://www.discountramps.com/drive_on_car_ramps.jpg

By rolling the truck onto them I lower the tailgate a bit making it even easier. Keeping the bike in gear assures me it won't roll off (kinda like parking uphill). Strap the bike down, make sure she's secure, then roll the truck down and go about my business. I reverse the process to bring her back down to earth.

the ramp idea is good, just nice to have some helpers to load it off and on. To stap it down, Canyon dancers are nice. They strap to the handle bars and hold tight. I went 1200 miles with one and no problems at all.
beerchug.gif

DONT ride the motorcycle up the ramp !! Have somebody experince show you how to load the bike. I seen at a dealer a stupid sales man try to ride up a ramp with a new cruiser, It was a bad choice ! After the EMT's left and the bike picked up he was fired !

It does take some nerve but is very easy to do if you can place your feet on the ramp. This is pretty much how I do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure your tailgate cables are in good shape and if you ride it on, go slow, if you hit the ramp too fast you can bend your tailgate. Use a Canyon Dancer if you can get one and strap it on all 4 corners. Drive like you have an $11,000 motorcycle in the back of your truck and you should be alright.

Personally, I would never ride that heifer up a board into a truck? Dropping your bike would be secondary to a broken leg. If your bike has been lowered, you'll need a very long ramp in order to clear the tailgate.

I load mine all the time into a standard size truck, without help. I walk it up the ramp using the engine to do the work. I set a 5 gal bucket near the tail gate so I have something to step up on as the front tire clears the ramp onto the tail gate.

I don't recommend you try this alone for the first time. Have someone close in case you get that big girl on top of you.

Your busa is a heavy beast and I would not trust a board to support the weight unless I placed a support block under the board a third of the way up the length of the board.

Like others have suggested, you may want to find a friend with some hauling experience? Tie her down really well.

you can sort of see what we do here in GSXcite's trailer, you will just have to modify it to your truck...Baxley Sport Chock in the front with straps running form the passenger pegs forward and down...never had a problem...in fact, the straps on omslaw's bike came loose and it stayed in place with only the chock but i wouldn't recommend that just in case you need to make evasive maneuver's or hit some REALLY bad bumps...as far as loading it on the truck, i would do like Busasweety and BlueHaya recommended and find a ditch/knoll where i could ride straight into the bed of the truck if at all possible
beerchug.gif

IMG_0237__Large_.JPG

you can sort of see what we do here in GSXcite's trailer, you will just have to modify it to your truck...Baxley Sport Chock in the front with straps running form the passenger pegs forward and down...never had a problem...in fact, the straps on omslaw's bike came loose and it stayed in place with only the chock but i wouldn't recommend that just in case you need to make evasive maneuver's or hit some REALLY bad bumps...as far as loading it on the truck, i would do like Busasweety and BlueHaya recommended and find a ditch/knoll where i could ride straight into the bed of the truck if at all possible
beerchug.gif
Like others have said, best way to load is to back the truck up to a berm or into a ditch to load and unload. If you must use a ramp get some help. I don't advocate riding it up a ramp of any kind, heck it's spooky riding one up the ramp of my trailer sometimes. With a Baxley there is no need to bolt the chock in the bed of the truck or use any straps on the front at all. Rear straps need to go FORWARD, DOWN, and OUT. Most trucks have tie down anchors in the front lower part of the bed and these are perfect for the rear tie down point. I use the 12" loop extensions around the passenger pegs, then a regular RATCHET type tie down from there. Towed 4 busas thousands of miles with the Baxleys with not one issue.
ThumbsUp.gif
Only other thing you need to do as you said put a 2X4 in front of the chock so your front fender doesn't hit the bed of the truck.

Back