First time Lane Splitting California 405!!

So fun to read this! If I hadn't lanesplit all during the 70's, 80's and 90's, I'd still be lost somewhere in SoCal traffic! Growing up there, doing career there, THEN relocating to Colorado then Nevada...it was so hard to give up that luxury. Commuting home after work I used to pull in behind either an LAPD or CHP motor officer (who was usually on his way home) and let HIM run interference for me....those were the days!

I know exactly where you got on the freeway, 405 north bound off of bristol. I live 1/2 a mile from there. Welcome to Socal traffic.

LOL your exactly right.Thats a nice area by the way My buddy lives in costa mesa also.Ill post some more vids of us riding around the area!

I lived in Costa Mesa(Orange Ave.)for 6 or 7 years(now out in South Corona,12 miles south of the 91 on the 15)and miss the hell out of that stretch of freeway where Newport Blvd. turns into the 55 North(right there at 19th St.).Every weekend around 7:00AM I'd roll down there and do a WFO speed run(could usually hit 185+)with time to get off on the Del Mar exit.I figure I got at least 300+ passes in and never a close call with the police,traffic,etc.(pretty deserted early weekend mornings).:laugh:

Rode down there xmas eve.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice ride in to newport. I work in newport on pch near bayside. Basically a couple hundred meters from the water.

Well hell bro,we could be brothers from a different mother(I work IN the water as a hull cleaner[12 years now]for Leading Edge Yacht Services and probably cruise right by you a couple times a week in my boat/wetsuit).:laugh:You must be over there around Balboa Marina or Basin Marine?

I was in the Marine Corps stationed at Tustin Air Base which was just up from Eltoro back in 1985 through 1987. Yes a long time ago..lol.. seems like yesterday.. Anyway when I got back from Japan I bought a brand new 1985 Goldwing Aspencade. I do everything bass ackwards I know.. I rode the 5 and the 405 many times and there was a lot of lane splitting going on then. I even did it a few times when traffic was at a near stand still, which was often even then. I cant imagine what it is like now. Never saw an accident and cars were largely used to it. Most bikes only did it when traffic was at a stand still or maybe 25mph or so but I have seen it done at near highway speed. That part is crazy stupid. At slow speed its not so bad but like I said most cars are accustom to this. If they made this legal in other states I think it would be chaos. riders would be unfamiliar with doing it and cars would be the same. Southern Cal is almost a necessity at times but other areas of the country concern me greatly.

I must say I only use filtering in traffic jams not for general riding like 880jedi video.
Here is a bit I found.

Filtering - How it differs from an 'Overtake'.

Contrary to the belief of some motorists, filtering is entirely legal in the UK, providing that it is done safely. Once traffic speeds are high enough to suggest that the traffic is no longer queuing, your manoeuvre may then be regarded as a dangerous overtake by the police.

I'll try and get my 13 minute video up.

I was in the Marine Corps stationed at Tustin Air Base which was just up from Eltoro back in 1985 through 1987. Yes a long time ago..lol.. seems like yesterday.. Anyway when I got back from Japan I bought a brand new 1985 Goldwing Aspencade. I do everything bass ackwards I know.. I rode the 5 and the 405 many times and there was a lot of lane splitting going on then. I even did it a few times when traffic was at a near stand still, which was often even then. I cant imagine what it is like now. Never saw an accident and cars were largely used to it. Most bikes only did it when traffic was at a stand still or maybe 25mph or so but I have seen it done at near highway speed. That part is crazy stupid. At slow speed its not so bad but like I said most cars are accustom to this. If they made this legal in other states I think it would be chaos. riders would be unfamiliar with doing it and cars would be the same. Southern Cal is almost a necessity at times but other areas of the country concern me greatly.

I agree - But you've got to start sometime.
Letting only one State in the Union to do it seems unfair to the rest of us. And we shouldn't have to move to CA to enjoy
that benefit.

Right lets try this video.

Hey Newman,

Didn't see one other bike in your video.
You'd think all those people sitting in cars would think "I need a motorcycle" and so there would be a few more on the road.

In my neck of the woods the only time we would have a backup like that would usually be an accident - which doesn't happen very often.
But I still wish it was legal here in the US other than just CA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Come to think of it you don't see many bikes on the roads here.
Just looked it up and they say there is 1.1 to 1.2 million riders her in the UK, they must all be hiding some where.:laugh:

On the video somewhere there is a car on the verge by the road, I assume he broke down and caused the traffic jam.

The trouble is that road, which is only two lanes each way is a main road to a lot of places.
One accident or breakdown and it causes havoc.
Lynne and my daughter were caught in traffic there for three hours once because of an accident.

Back