First long trip!

...I recently got my seat reupholstered and got a gel insert put in which has relieved any back pain and I can ride about an hour before I start feeling it in my legs. How often do you guys take breaks?

My bladder is the size of a walnut. I drink my Coke out of a 20oz bottle, so if you calculate the volume of a walnut, divide by 20oz at a process rate of 2oz per 15 minutes, divide by 5 and take the square root of the remainder... you can easily see that I have to stop every hour.

Speaking of seats (and touring accessories in general), I was surprised (when compared to setting up other bikes for touring) that I only had to buy a used Corbin seat, a set of Heli-Bars, and a ZGST windshield from Tim... and this Busa is a very respectable (comfortable) touring machine.

to stay comfortable I try and move my legs around as much as I can.
I hook my feet on the back pegs. I let them fly behind me. I kick them up over the mirrors and use the a rocker and o-ring throttle lock.

for your 1st trip, your going to pack too much stuff. that's ok. just have fun and roll with it.
stop when your tired. eat when your hungry. have fun and take pics. :beerchug:

...just have fun and roll with it.
stop when your tired. eat when your hungry. have fun and take pics. :beerchug:

Best advice.

Hey Red... I'm coming through your 'hood in a couple of weeks. We're doing a loop over to Rushmore, etc. I like to tell people I'm going to Sturgis 60 days early.

...a duffel to the rear seat with a net to hold it down...

I lost a load once with a bungee net. I prefer nylon straps with buckles. See the pic of red1000cc's bike. He's using motorcycle tie downs... and a cup holder out front :agree:

Some folks get by just fine with nets... and rope...

BusaAlaska2.jpg

Rednecks.jpg

Todd,

I love your hard bags! What brand are they?

Trout, +1 on your exact set up here, I put the Buell peg mod on too and that helps my legs from feeling too cramped up also.

Ill probably be stopping every hour to take a break. I tried the legs on the back pegs once and it didn't go so well lol.

I have considered the beull peg mod in the past. I would love to have it for the trip.

I might just be over thinking the trip a little since I have never done it. I feel like ill be fine with the gear I have unless I get serious with this touring thing.

Todd,

I love your hard bags! What brand are they?

They are SW-Motech TraX EVO Alu-Box, 37L size. I bought them a few years ago from twistedthrottle. Spendy but I really like them. They mount up easily, are secure and carry like a suitcase when it's time to stop for the night. If I were buying again it would be a toss up between these or an offering from Givi.

Back