finishing options for Mcintosh chromoly swingarm?

hammerin16ds

Registered
So I got my first busa the other day and have a question for you all. It has a mcintosh +10 swing arm made from chromoly. What are my options for refinishing? Kind of a dull grey/silver color (believe it was painted) Just want something a little nicer looking thanks in advance.

swingarm.jpg

I have a chrome swing arm myself and like the look.
I would check and see if it could be polished. That may look real nice.
What type of wheels do you have?

Tough to polish a Chromoly arm. Sorry I had to.:rofl:

Powder coating or Chrome would be the best options.

Chrome wheels. Im new to the game did not know if I could chrome it out. Do you know a ballpark price for chrome thanks

I think chrome would be better for you too.
I paid $300 for my OEM arm to get done.
If you do polish it, you can give it a clear coat to stop rust.
Go chrome if you have the money.

One of the disadvantages of chrome is that it sometimes peels, and can get chips, and then it can rust underneath, causing more peeling etc. Even the tiniest pit in the chrome will start to rust from underneath. Look at older chrome wheels on cars and the rust does come through.
I didn't have that problem as the OEM swing arm is aluminum.
If you wanted a durable finish, you could have it polished and then clear powder coated. That gives a rust free very durable finish, and you are always able to see what is going on under the clear coat.
Polishing will never look as good as real chrome, but it can be made to look quite good.

JMO

Hey I forgot:

:welcome:

Thanks guys for the advice and the welcome. Have all winter to work on it being I am from Michigan. Have a local guy that does chrome see once where he is at on price.

Buy a big adjustable wrech to hold the axle head when you tighten it. Normally it's held within the arm, but the chromoly arms have no provisions for such. Also, make sure the axle will even tighten down. I've seen and experienced where the swingarm is narrower and I had to get spacers to take up the extra room. That's just one reason why I don't use chromoly anymore.

Just a heads up.

Back