Finally Riding

Y2K81

Registered
Well I'm finally riding that basket case bike I bought 6 months ago. Let me bring you up to speed...

Buy a 99' busa with a part of the block missing that holds the gear connected to the starter.
Fixed 700.00 later...
Install motor... Bike won't fire.
Give bike to mechanic...
Buy 2nd hand motor for 1500.00 with 21,000kms... Again bike fails to start. Dig deeper.... Damn wiring harness. Did I need that motor? Ah well got a spare now.
Wiring harness available off bike 2nd motor came from... Guy actually just wants to get rid of the bike now. So I bought the rest of the bike.

And that includes an extended swingarm... Which is the question here:
I like to ride... I like cornering on big hwy sweepers. What changes in the dynamics of riding when adding an extended swingarm?

The thing is chrome, looks like someone bought the extensions and then had them welded in.

Im torn between installing it... Waiting till I get the other motor upgraded... Or selling it completely and buying later on again.

I intend to have 2 motor combos in the long run.
1300 with a turbo and a 1340 n/a cammer

1496171313857-2043359898.jpg

TBH I don't know anything about ext arms but if you don't know who built it how do you trust those welds ?

Looks like someone just welded extensions to a stock arm. I dont hate it as much as Viper but I also am not a fan.

I went over 200mph with bolt ons,Not Weld ons so I trust them
Welds do not look like the person really did not know what they were doing, I AM NOT A WELDER but a huge fan of beautiful welds
Man those weld look like the current was way too high or something
Playing my favorite game What Would I do?
Looks like the back was not welded. I would bolt plates onto the back for insurance and ride it

The problem with wielding those like that is alum is very difficult to heat and wield properly. It warps it fractures the list goes on. I would bet money it isnt straight and wasnt done in a jig.

Ok well thanks for all the input on welds lol. Perhaps someone wishes to speak to the dynamics of riding with an extended swingarm?

Ok well thanks for all the input on welds lol. Perhaps someone wishes to speak to the dynamics of riding with an extended swingarm?

They aren't for knee dragging(not saying it can't be done).
Extended arms are for 2 things only.
Drag racing to help prevent wheelies.
And some people like the look.
If you want proper suspension sag, and a bike that handles and corners well, stay stock.
If you wanna drag race, and/or are a straight line cruiser, stretch to the length you like the look of.
A 4" to 6" stretch isn't terrible, but you'll notice the wider turn radious.
Any longer, and corners suck.

Well I'm finally riding that basket case bike I bought 6 months ago. Let me bring you up to speed...

Buy a 99' busa with a part of the block missing that holds the gear connected to the starter.
Fixed 700.00 later...
Give bike to mechanic...
Buy 2nd hand motor for 1500.00 with 21,000kms... Again bike fails to start. Dig deeper.... Damn wiring harness. Did I need that motor? Ah well got a spare now.
Wiring harness available off bike 2nd motor came from... Guy actually just wants to get rid of the bike now. So I bought the rest of the bike.

I like to ride... I like cornering on big hwy sweepers. What changes in the dynamics of riding when adding an extended swingarm?

The thing is chrome, looks like someone bought the extensions and then had them welded in.

Im torn between installing it... Waiting till I get the other motor upgraded... Or selling it completely and buying later on again.

View attachment 1573248
jesus… look at the skill in those welds... looks factory perfect.

Fixed 700.00 later...
Give bike to mechanic...

View attachment 1573248
When that swing arm was being welded a lot of pigeons were flying over head the welding is crap no offence that swing arm shouldn't be fitted to a push bike and deffinaly not your busa my advice attack it with a angle grinder and put it out of its misery

I rode a Suzuki TL 1000R and buddy used to own a few years ago. His was extended 10” if I remember correctly and lowered. Just like sixpack said : it really changes how the bike corners. When you try leaning on a turn, the bike wants to stand right back up to a straight line. I really had to man-handle it to make it corner at a relatively high rate of speed. :)

Back