FI light on and bike wont start

mmullins

Registered
New to the forum but i have a question for you guys before i take the bike in the shop. I have a 2000 busa and road the beach and had a great ride. got stuck in traffic in 95 degree weather for about 10 minutes. Drove the a burger stand and shut the bike down. when i turned the engine off the fan was on but still shut the bike off anyway. Went out 30 minutes later and the bike wont start and the FI light if flashing. Also i have a power comander on it and usally when you turn the key on they green light comes on and there is nothing. Just hoping for some advice before i take it to the shop.

:welcome:
process of elimination. I wish i could help you more than that. there is a way to find out what the f1 light is indicating but i am not sure how. there is a list of codes somewhere here on the .org.

someone that knows more will chime in soon
good luck

So the neutral light will not light? Do the gauges sweep when you turn the key on? You may have loose connections or a bad battery. Sounds like it started all of the sudden, check the connections at the battery first, then the fuses. Let us know what you find and welcome to the oRg! :beerchug:

By the way, here is a link to the page with the shop manual hosting sites. Check your FI codes before you take it to the shop. We should be able to point you in the right direction. https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/maintenance-do-yourself/24284-permanent-shop-manual-hosting.html

The second link on the page is for the k8, you want the first one.

Last edited:
Yeah, all gauges and lights work. i turn key to on possistion, check comes up on the display. when i go to start it FI starts flashing. i and i am not sure if the display is saying FI or F1. It sound like the fuel pump isint kicking on. i hear the fuel pump relay click, where are the fuses, just got the bike and dont even have the manual for it yet. Thanks for the help so far.

Are you saying the light on the power commander isn't coming on when you turn the key to the on position?

The fuses are located under the left front inner panel, you will have to pull the upper inner panel to get to them. Its not hard, just take your time if you have not removed them before. The first few times you do it are nerve racking. Download the manual I gave you the link to and it will show you exactly what you need.

Thanks for the manual link,

As for the light, the power comander isn't coming on. i know when you first turn the key on the power comander green light dances, then goes the the lowest fuel leve indication. its acting like the power comander isn't getting power.

Thanks for the manual link,

As for the light, the power comander isn't coming on. i know when you first turn the key on the power comander green light dances, then goes the the lowest fuel leve indication. its acting like the power comander isn't getting power.

Does the engine crank over but not start? I just disconnected the ground wire for the pwr. commander and the engine just cranked while the FI light flashed. Check the ground source for the pwr. cmndr it may have been interupted somehow. Another option you may try is disconnecting the pwr. cmndr. all together and reconnecting the factory harness. Maybe the pwr. cmndr. took a crap!

Engine cranks, but wont start. FI is Flashing, if i turn the disconect switch off it goes back the "check" I was thinking that the power comander may have gone bad. I dont have the original unit so hopefully i will be able to get some codes to help pin point the problem.

Last edited:
if bike is in nuetral and you turn key on does pc cycle?
if not lift seat check that ground is not broken for pc...
if not broken disconnect it and hook all back factory and start it..

Thanks for everyones help.

I pulled the code and it was telling me the fuel pump relay.

there was a broken wire and a bad fuse.

It would have been $200 at the shop but all it was a 28 cent fuse.

Thanks again!

Back