Faulty Hardware Assembly

OB_Hylabusa

Registered
I nearly lost BOTH my clutch and brake handle pivot pins due to improperly assembled hardware.

These pins, around which the clutch and brake handles pivot, are fastened with standard flanged nuts (no nylon stop nuts, no lock washers, no thread adhesive). Once loose gravity and vibration work together to drop your hardware on the side of the road.

Anyone else come across this. It may be worth the trouble of putting on a little lock-tite.

I found my clutch lever pivot bolt backed half way out when I did a 600 mile service found the nut in my lower faring. Called Suzuki and informed them of this.They had no comment. Anther customer did his own 600 mile service and did not check both bolts his clutch lever fell off whlie riding. WE called Suzuki again. they told me he should had done a proper service no warranty. Our dealership paid for the lever,(they are not cheap.) made our customer happy .All suzuki said was check them at the 1st.service and all the recommed intervals. I put locknut on both of mine with blue loctite.

Hey Johnnycheese my wife is from round rock,we live in so. CA. now. Tell me when you do the 600 mile service on the busa do they really need the F.I. sync and the TPS?

thanks, Frank

Ditto here on the sock.
Wanted to do it all myself and indeed instructions are a bit lacking to say the least.
Destroyed the sock beyond re-use, so had to order a new one.
Price over here "translates" to around $50 ... GULP!!!!
DIY really saves on the money.

I am probably going to have Vance and Hines do it to keep my extended warranty intact. Hope they know what they are doing, they shold they have been racing Suzukis for many years now, still I dont like anyone working on my bike.

Frank the tps and throttle body sync are well worth the effort! Does the dealer do it?Mine said it was ok and I didn`t have to have it done.When I checked it the tps was ok and the sync was way off.You can aleviate alot of the low rpm throttle problems with these two adjustments and a good initial check out.I dont know how much of the work you plan on doing yourself but a manual is a must if you do.Also one thing I noticed was that the spark plugs get loose so make sure to check those and torque to spec.Good luck finding a dealer you can trust with your life.

Most dealers just change the oil and filter at the 600 mile checkup. I had the tensioner and new fuel screens done at around 2400 miles. bike ran smooth after that but a little weak. I then tore down the fuel pump and found an o-ring out of place which was probably reducing fuel pressure. Bike ran much stronger after that. Last weekend, after getting a vacuum gauge, I checked the throttle body balance and found it to be off. After balancing the throttle bodies the throttle response was a LOT better. Yesterday I whacked open the throttle going about 10mph in 1st gear just to rip up to 40mph in a big hurry and was surprised to smoke the tire. It had never done that before so I guess that the crisp response makes a difference at lower RPMs. After balancing the throttle bodies I checked the TPS but is was OK. A shop manual is a MUST for this work and even with the manual a lot of the details are still vague. I managed to get the foam fuel pump sock off and on without destroying it or dissolving it from gas, but the manual simply says remove fuel pump sock or something like that without offering any details.

Factry if he is as backed up like I am hold on to him.WE Are very few in NUmbers as you can tell be other posts. sorry about my writing too much eggnog with santa last night.

I think I understand what you guys are getting at with the throttle body sync stuff. It sounds like I really need this done on my bike - however, I'm not sure.

I'd like to compare idle with another Busa.

My complaint is that at low speed, just off idle, I get a "bucking" from my bike. It feels like the bike is lurching forward unless I either accelerate or decelerate - tough to hold a consistent low speed on my bike. I've had both recalls completed -

What does this sound like to you guys?

[This message has been edited by Factory (edited 25 December 1999).]

I work check the following; t.p.s. adjustment throttle body snych, and check and gap spark plugs follow the book or have some one that know what they are doing do it.Make sure the bike is at operating temp.!

Johnnycheese - thanks. I've forwarded my question and your response to my mechanic to see if I can correctly describe my problem.

He does a good job, very meticulous, but has more work than he can handle.

Don't get upset with Suzuki, speak to your dealer who is responsible for bolting the levers on a nuw Busa out of a crate. He's also the guys that's supposed to check the stuff at the fisrt service.

Factory: what did you find to be wrong with your bike's idle? Mine is erratic as well (tach needle bounces), and I also have the surging problem at very low speeds in 1st gear (around 10-15mph). I ordered the darn manual but dealer suzuki is closed for the rest of the year, and somebody suggested to wait for 600 miles. I need to check TPS, synch bodies, adjust chain, and check fasteners. By the way, I put together my bike with the tech, and levers, mirrors, lower fairing, bar weights, steering axle screw (a big gold one on the middle of the triple clamp), and screen need to be assembled. Check all these items to make sure they are properly torqued. Bike comes stock with grab rail and 2nd seat installed; hump comes in a separate box. Should I wait for 600 miles to check the synch? It idles a little better at 100 mi than new, but roughness will not go away.
Thanks!

For the people that are having low speed problem,idle problem and bouncing tach check the hoses that go to the air box one of them might be loose or not be put back on correctly.These are for those of you that had your recall done on your petcock gas filter change.That was the problem I was having on my bike after the petcock change from the dealer the tech forgot to put back one of the vacuum hose to the air box.The tech had to reroute the fuel lines also per service call.Check those hoses first then check for any loose spark plug wires and spark plug torque.Good Luck and Happy New Year.

Thanks for the advice JC (same initials as my name). It's going to take at least that long to get my service manual anyway. Happy new year!

Back