Eye Protection

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
I recently had to have a hole in my eye repaired. These just happen with my eyes, no apparent cause. They are fixed with lasers in a painful but simple procedure. So my first point to all you Busa pilots is don't forget your eyes when it comes to the checkups. More can go wrong than just needing new glasses!

So now I want a set of glasses to wear when I ride. The air blowing up into them causes me a lot of problems even with the sheild closed. I was looking at some riding glasses with the seals around them to stop wind. I would also like them to be light sensitive so they change tint in the sun. I wear a Shoei RF1100 full face helmet, so they would need to fit in there. BTW, I have a fat head (2XL helmet).

Any recommendations?

I always wear riding glasses with the foam seals myself, but i mainly do it because I ride with my shield up most of the time and still I never have any problem with air blowing in them. Usually the helmet will tell you when the shield needs to be closed and close it for you just in case you forgot. And that is usually at about 90 :laugh: and if your not expecting it it will for sure scare the sh*t out of you. :oops:

But as far as glasses to fit, it's pretty much just go and try them with your helmet. Cause most you will need and pretty flat side arm with no bow to it or it will feel as if their gonna puncture your brain cause you figure the cheekpads on most helmets are gonna be curved in toward front of helmet more than ear area and the arms in turn will end up flexing in at temple then outward toward ear. So the thinner and straighter the side arms you can find will work better.

And I have not found a set of Oakley's that will work with any helmet yet, unless you wanna wear a brain bucket. :banghead: Not I !

I dont have the air blowing up in my helmet either but if i'll be riding in the summer i have a set of 3m glasses i snagged from work that i wear under my helmet so if i'm out after dark i can ride with the shield up(summer my dark smoke doesnt come off). They dont seal but are some of the better glasses i have worn for riding even without a helmet, they wrap around pretty tight and will darken up in the sun but are clear at night.

I'd check with an industrial safety place and see if the 3m's come in a sealed up version, i'd imagine they do

Wear an xl helmet and have never noticed wind coming up helmet. I wear either Oakley xx or flak jacket fit well for me.

My Arai blows a stream of air up across my face from the chin vent, doesn't bother me (actually feels great in the summer), but I could see where it might for someone with eye problems. Try looking at a welding supply shop in your area. Most have several different types/styles of safety goggles that are basically wrap around glasses with foam seals around the edges. Dunno about the tint changing capability, but might have that available too. Though I've found that my Transitions lenses in my regular glasses won't change much unless in direct sunlight. Very little help inside the truck or helmet.

I have a shark helmet so I have that little chin piece that prevents a lot of air coming up from the bottom. However when I started wearing glasses I did some surgery with my pads and attatched the rubber head band to the inside of the helmet. Wiley X has a nice pair of glasses or had(dont know if they still do) that had the foam around the rims that I just click into the helmet.

I have since started wearing contacts but I can still use the application for normal sunglasses that have te option to remove the arms and connect the headband to. It took me some time but once you look at it, it isnt that hard. Ive even left them on my helmet so they just slip on when I get off.

But really it comes down to the helmet, I know people are picky when it comes to there lid but I got a scorpion for free when I bought the busa and it did not have that chin piece. Now it is one of the main things I look for when I go to get a helmet.

Hope that helps

I also wear a XXL helmet, and have worn Wiley X motorcycle glasses. Interchangeable lens (Smoke, Clear) and a removable gasket. Great glasses, they came highly recommended by helicopter mechanics in the Air Force.

Ballistic Eyewear and Gloves, ANSI Z87 Safety Eyewear - Wiley X Motorcycle

you can find them cheaper by looking around on different web sites.

Please look at Wiley's with the unbreakable frames! I have never had such awesome athletic glasses....mine are prescription but they don't have to be. I wear them on 500 mile bicycle rides, in snow, wind, sandstorms. I wear them on my off road motorcycle, on my Busa, including the track AND I wear them whenever the wind blows. They fit fine with full coverage motorcycle helmets, bicycle helmets, ski helmets, stocking caps, I've gone through a few "high end" rx glasses and these are the ones! Raydog

Back