Ever try a 170 tire on the rear?

WWJD

Donating Member
Registered
ever try a 170 tire on the rear?

Just wondered. I think all that fat rear push steering would go away. Of course, it would scrape fairings much faster too

You would have to put a narrower rim on cause the 170 is supposed to be mounted on a 5" wide rim and would handle horrible stretched out of profile.

You can run a 180 on a stock busa rim. It gives you more contact on the drag strip.

Nope, I haven't.

I run 180/55s.

Have you raised the rear. After I raised the rear an 1", the bike feels soo much lighter. An adjustable steering damper helps a lot too.

ever try a 170 tire on the rear?

Just wondered.  I think all that fat rear push steering would go away.  Of course, it would scrape fairings much faster too
How would you like it if someone made you wear your shoes two sizes smaller. Dont do that to you baby !!!
biggrin.gif

Basically, if you put that 170 on, your bike would handle like Sh!t, okay, next you have to figure out what do you do with your bike,what tire you like, How you want you bike to act/ handle? 200 if you like that Fat tire look( of course it turn like a truck ) 180 or 190 depending on profile both handle nice & footprint is good on both, dunlops I run 180's, pirrelli run 190's, the slicks I run on the track are 195's, just remember not to mix the brand of tire from front/back. profile might be wrong & put you on your @$$

I'm not doing it, just curious. I know racers use thinner tires and the physics of turning makes sense. I use 180 all the time now - just turns so much easier/faster/tighter than 190. I'm not worried about the look either

thanks for the feedback. I figured with a thinner tire, the fairings would be closer to the ground on deep leans and that would suck

You can run a 180 on a stock busa rim.  It gives you more contact on the drag strip.
what about a 200?
200's for the strip or for street?
street
I’ve run a lot of 200's. The only real thing I noticed is that it took a fraction of a sec longer to get it into the corner. No real change in longevity.

Back