Ever have one of those days

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
Ever had one of those great ideas that you just knew would only take a few minutes and in your head was a great idea. I thought I had one of those great ideas and I completely forgot rule number one of basic tech..... I needed more space on my hard drive at home and I am running Raid 5 on my desktop machine. I told myself ya know what Doug, what I said back.... you could delete the RAID array and set it up as raid 0 and get all that hard drive space and just make good backups.... WOW what a great idea.... So I made sure that all my data was on drive D a LOGICAL partition and then I commenced to delete the raid array in which all the partitions reside and reinstall XP.... So as soon as I rebooted I new that I hosed the system... I am in the process of restoring all of my email and data files it will just take a little time, i have had this email PST file for 6 years and I am somewhat dependant on it....

Ever done something stupid like that? If I am slow to respond to email or get back with you please be a little patient with me, I should be back 100% by this weekend.

Cap

LOL, Doug, even the best of us have these wonderful ideas in our heads. If we had only spoken them out loud before we acted, we might have saved ourselves some PITA time.

Don

Heh. Spent 33 1/2 hrs straight last week restoring one of my Exchange servers! Friggin' RAID 5EE array got a 'bad stripe' - which is similar to a bad cluster on a single disk - marked the stripe bad and hosed any data in it! Of course, Exchange didn't like that!

Oh yeah, Exchange server was in the middle of the nightly backup at the time, too!

So, all that to say 'yes', I can relate!

Yeah, I have had that happen a few times. Extreme pucker factor when it happens just before a big operation. Someone took it upon themself (not me) to try something that backfired. Managed to get it fixed, but what a pain!

Poo poo happens Doug.No worries.'Puters are great,but also be a pain in the butt.

I keep myself up and running by dividing my major tasks between 3 computers,with a little back-up for they other 2 stored on each.

I keep one fresh an' clean for Org business,another for Paypal,banking,file storage,etc and another for data burning.

Works well for me,incase I mess one up or get a virus etc.

Since I got a dual layer DVD re-writable I can store up to 9 Gigs on a single disc. Now I back-up everything.

RSD.

Been there...I have a little USB hard drive I store all of my important information and files and store it in my safe...In case of a break in/fire/flood etc. Sometimes even little task take a turn for the worse when it comes to computers..I installed a 2nd hd on my pc about 2 yrs ago. When I cut on my PC it fragged the OS. Luck all my data was saved and after about 3 days of fighting and buying new software I could retrive it all. That is when I got the portable HD. Computers suck......gimme a motor and open road anyday

Yep. Killed my inventory DB in work. Twice. In one day. Thank God for backups (that work!). Luckily, stupid doesn't *always* hurt.

Reminder: Test your backups.

Moved from tape to HD backup. Real sweet now. Though, I sometimes miss the whine of the tape rewinding... not!

laugh.gif

Back