Engine rebuild gone wrong

jeremy78233

Registered
I just finished rebuilding my motor after melting two pistons (to much boost). Anyway I took it to a shop to degree my cam gears brought it home put in the bike this past weekend and tonight I was finishing up little things here and there, and while looking for a return fuel line I came across my cam chain guide. If you were looking at the cam gears straight on it would be the guide that goes on the right side its the one that easily comes out. As you can imagine I went through a mild panic attack, everything is together and back in the bike and I'm trying to find out if can just lower the front of the motor pull the valve cover take out the exhaust cam in insert the guide or am I gonna have to remove the head again (its studded) to get the guide back in. Also I installed a Cometic head gasket, since the bike hasn't been started yet can reinstall the same gasket or will have buy a new one again?

OH... sorry to hear about your troubles.....

I have no help for you now.. but the wrenches will be up soon.

good luck.... Haste makes waste.

I just finished rebuilding my motor after melting two pistons (to much boost). Anyway I took it to a shop to degree my cam gears brought it home put in the bike this past weekend and tonight I was finishing up little things here and there, and while looking for a return fuel line I came across my cam chain guide. If you were looking at the cam gears straight on it would be the guide that goes on the right side its the one that easily comes out. As you can imagine I went through a mild panic attack, everything is together and back in the bike and I'm trying to find out if can just lower the front of the motor pull the valve cover take out the exhaust cam in insert the guide or am I gonna have to remove the head again (its studded) to get the guide back in. Also I installed a Cometic head gasket, since the bike hasn't been started yet can reinstall the same gasket or will have buy a new one again?

The FRONT cam chain guide sits in a pocket on the top of the cylinder. You have to remove the cylinder head to install it . . .:banghead:

oh snap:poke:well I don't look at it as a failure I look at it as a save...just think what would have happened when you tried to fire her up and the guide wasn't in place..the timing would have went all over the place and you would have grenaded your motor again:thumbsup: on the save...i would think the gasket would be ok to re-use

You might want to recheck the cam timing after you install the chain runner, i most likely will be off!
Also you should re torque the head gasket a few lbs heavier, since it has been torqued!

I believe once the head gasket is compressed it would be unwise to reuse it once it has been torqued down if you have to pull the head. Just good mechanical practice IMO.

Wardie

I believe once the head gasket is compressed it would be unwise to reuse it once it has been torqued down if you have to pull the head. Just good mechanical practice IMO.

Wardie
It will work, if it has not been run yet!

pulled the motor last night put that darn cam guide in, cam timing definetly changed so I'm taking back to the shop to get re-degree'd, seems they should have caught my mistake but owell. Retorqued the studs a few more pounds than the first time I think the head gasket will be fine. Thanks for all your help guys:thumbsup:

not on a Boost bike
sounds familar save a few bucks will cost you more in the long run.
plus i hope you shaved the head and surface ground the block???

yes both block and head were serviced at reputable race shop, thats why I'm confidant in the head gasket. Got my S2000's in today next step get this baby tuned so I don't melt anymore pistons:please:

Jeremy, remember to go very conservative on the A/F ratios. There is no reason at all for melting pistons on a four stroke. Good luck and have FUN!

Back