Engine Oil Analysis to determine bad bearings

Status
Not open for further replies.

rotts4u

Registered
Many of you are talking about bearings going out etc and it has me concerned. Im sure others are too. Although, this is not a fool proof way to determine if the bearings are bad it is a good idea to do engine oil analysis every once and a while anyway.

It will tell you how the oil is holding up as well if there are any particals that are not supposed to be in the oil. Like bearings rings etc. I would like to propose that several of us submit some oil from several bikes and see how they compare. It only costs $15 . I use a Lab in Altanta and if you call them and tell them you are with the GOLDWING test program with Don Smith (thats me ) from Chattanooga that will get you some extra tests for free. I am currently working on a magazine article about motorcycle oil analysis and have selected this lab for the tests.

I know Auto zone has kits in some places from Mobil but I dont suggest it. The tests they do dont include some of the key tests needed. When I change my oil again at about 1500 miles I will send my Belray off and post the results to the board.

Here is the number for the oil lab if you are interested.1-800-241-6315 I think you can ask for Mary or Wendy. They ship you the kit and instructions. You collect the used oil the way they tell you and pay only freight to them. Dont worry about unused oil analysis unless you really want to get technical. Its another $15 if so and not really needed for this purpose.

Let me know if any of you are planning to do this.

Thanks
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back