Education questions...

razorshark

Registered
hey folks...got a few questions for those of you with graduate and doctorial degrees.

I have three AAS degrees in Human Resource Management, Multimedia Production Services and Public Affairs and three Certificates of Mastery in Electronic Imagaing, Computer Science and Journalism. I also have a BA in Art History (but low GPA, got it 10 years ago), which qualifies me to say, "Do you want fries with that?" I am currently pursuing a BS double major (started over from scratch) in Human Resource Management and Computer Information Systems and GPA will be no lower than 3.75. I will be done next year.

Then its off to grad school...but not sure what to get into. My university offers an good MBA and Public Affairs program, but not sure I want to do that. What would be a good marketable major? I want something that will give me the ability to go multiple directions. I'm 33 years old and have 6+ years to retiring from the Air Force so I want to ensure I get my Masters before I get out, then get Texas to help pay for a PhD under the Hazelwood Act.

Management? Technology? Education? Communications? Leadership? Underwaterbasketweaving?

Not sure what I want to do after I retire...but need a good graduate degree just in case I can't sit on my fat a$$ and my the wife work.

Thanks,
Sharky

Technology brother, boundless growth, huge opportunities, nver ending developments. If you can squeeze in some forensic IT stuff better, Biometrics also becoming huge...start looking BEFORE you complete it seems you have alot to offer already don't sell yourself short. And last but not least look at this and apply apply apply
www.usajobs.com

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

+1 on the Technology. Curious on the Doctorate though. You plan on teaching at some point?

TECHNOLOGY then use your military background to hook up with various "Federal Agencies" so you can double dip.

Thanks...but which technology degree?  There's a variety of them out there. I was thinking about Information Technology or Technology Management...which could lead to a doctorial degree.

There's also Educational Technology, Electronics Engineering, Management Information Systems, Computer Science, Network Administration, Applied Technology, etc.

I also have $9k that I can spend on 1 technical certification or graduate certificate, any ideas?

Hey Razor!
gotpm.gif
lots of info for you, tried to post it but it wouldnt go for some reason also, in case you dont know how to navigate it heres a link to jobs in your area
http://jobsearch.usajobs.gov/jobsear....T1.y=16

of course thats ALL direct hire jobs in texas, start looking bud!
thumb_up.gif

Hey Sharky better look deeper in to the Texas Hazelwood bro I do not think it will help you when trying for a PhD.

I don't have my Masters and interview a lot of potential job candidates that do. Frankly, I tended to favor them over those that didn't have an MBA but not anymore. Seems that a lot of people with their MBAs are under the misguided belief that it is a free ticket for them into the business world while those with only their Bacholers seem to be more hungry. Not always the case but seems more so then not that the MBA candidate has the attitude of "I have my MBA therefore I am better". While the Bacholers candidate seems to be more eager to show me that they are better. No sheepskin can replace good ole hard work and drive. I am not saying that is the case 100% of the time, just an observation from an old guy who interviews potential job candidates almost weekly anymore. MY brother has 2 BS degrees, one in Electrical Engineering and the second in Computer Science, a Masters in Computer Science, and recently completed his MBA. When he got his MBA, he was promoted at work but only got about a $15k annual bump. I tend to be skeptical of the value of an MBA in todays business environment. The cost STARTS at $20K and I have heard of schools charging in excess of $40K. Just not sure of the R.O.I. there. Perhaps I am a little more sensitive to education costs since I have had to pay all of mine myself. If I were getting a free ride, I would certainly persue the MBA though!

Good luck with your decision!

I'm goin with the underwaterbasketweaving  
rofl.gif
Sounds GOOD to Me, and the Field has to be OPEN with few competitors  
laugh.gif

Really, I would look
SHOCKED.gif
 at, WHAT DO YOU WANT TO DO
dunno.gif
and What Interest You Most. Because a job that you HATE, is a JOB YOU HATE ! And that will reflect in your home and life, NO matter how much money it pays. Take your time, and really fit yourself in several types of jobs (mentally) and see what you really want to do
winkold.gif
. Money isn't EVERYTHING ! Happyness and Satisfaction is  
ThumbsUp.gif

No sheepskin can replace good ole hard work and drive.
+1

I have a AA and make very good money. Hard work, good ethics and common sense have always paid off. I always look for those qualities and longevity when interviewing a candidate.

FYI... I work in the Electronics Manufacturing industry.

I don't have my Masters and interview a lot of potential job candidates that do. Frankly, I tended to favor them over those that didn't have an MBA but not anymore. Seems that a lot of people with their MBAs are under the misguided belief that it is a free ticket for them into the business world while those with only their Bacholers seem to be more hungry. Not always the case but seems more so then not that the MBA candidate has the attitude of "I have my MBA therefore I am better". While the Bacholers candidate seems to be more eager to show me that they are better. No sheepskin can replace good ole hard work and drive. I am not saying that is the case 100% of the time, just an observation from an old guy who interviews potential job candidates almost weekly anymore. MY brother has 2 BS degrees, one in Electrical Engineering and the second in Computer Science, a Masters in Computer Science, and recently completed his MBA. When he got his MBA, he was promoted at work but only got about a $15k annual bump. I tend to be skeptical of the value of an MBA in todays business environment. The cost STARTS at $20K and I have heard of schools charging in excess of $40K. Just not sure of the R.O.I. there. Perhaps I am a little more sensitive to education costs since I have had to pay all of mine myself. If I were getting a free ride, I would certainly persue the MBA though!

Good luck with your decision!
Thanks for your input. I was originally planning to get an MBA when I had the dream of openning up my own business. I have enough time in the Air Force to play for my Masters so I need to make sure it is the right one.

I'm goin with the underwaterbasketweaving  
rofl.gif
Sounds GOOD to Me, and the Field has to be OPEN with few competitors  
laugh.gif

Really, I would look
SHOCKED.gif
 at, WHAT DO YOU WANT TO DO
dunno.gif
and What Interest You Most. Because a job that you HATE, is a JOB YOU HATE ! And that will reflect in your home and life, NO matter how much money it pays. Take your time, and really fit yourself in several types of jobs (mentally) and see what you really want to do
winkold.gif
. Money isn't EVERYTHING ! Happyness and Satisfaction is  
ThumbsUp.gif
Granted, but my wife will have her PhD in Psychology before I retire and be younger than I am now. I'm looking for a marketable degree just in case plans don't work out. To be honest, I strive to be good at whatever I do and don't think I will ever find a job I hate more than recruiting, even though I'm damn good at it...lol.

Hey Sharky better look deeper in to the Texas Hazelwood bro I do not think it will help you when trying for a PhD.
yes it will, up to 150 at any state sponsored public school. I think the most they will pay is $250 per semester hour, but hey anything helps. Otherwise, I will get another Masters, maybe in underwaterbasketweaving...

Dr. Sharky

what's your goal?

work for the man just hard enough to retire
be the man and grow your wealth
are you looking for personal satisfaction
cut throat gorilla tactic business ethics

or something else?

what's your goal?

work for the man just hard enough to retire
be the man and grow your wealth
are you looking for personal satisfaction
cut throat gorilla tactic business ethics

or something else?
Goals: retire from the AF when I am 38 w/ a Master degree, 2 BS, 1 BA, 3 AAS, 3 CoMs, Certifcations: Microsoft, Teaching, Professional Selling Skills, etc.

I thought about openning up a tattoo shop, a karaoke bar, and a graphics company. But...it really depends on my wife. She is thinking about being a military psychologist, which means I will have to follow her around like she has done for me...so I need the educational foundation to get a government or civilian job, or if we settle down in one place, start a second career with another pension.

I really don't care what I do, just want to be able to take care of my family and ensure my girls have everything they need...I'd be happy to be the "soccer dad" and stay at home, can always find a way to make money on the internet, even be an online professor eventually.

sounds like no matter what you can't go wrong...
thumb_up.gif
any kind of virtual business would work well. It wouldn't matter where you move or how often.

Back