Which exhaust setup for turbo bike

• Dumps

Votes: 67 72.8%
  • HMF big bird

Votes: 25 27.2%

• Total voters

Blake051300

Registered
My original plan was to run the HMF bigbird pipe once my turbo install is finished. I already have the pipe but I'm having second thoughts about putting it on. I'm interested in what you guys think.
(Its gonna be used as a daily rider that will do a 1/4 pass here and there. just in case that would change your opinion.)

Be sneaky, stay quiet. If it's a daily driver, open exhaust gets old. Besides, it'll look like a stock Busa with a pipe, not your typical turbo.

only downfall with dump IMO is the gas or exhaust smell on foot but other then that i prefer the dump 100%

I struggled with this when I had my new system put together. I hated my old short dump pipe because I could touch down when cornering and my right shoe always stunk like exhaust. I decided to run a long dump pipe that exits about where regular pipes separate to the muffler. Heres a pic.
HPIM2301-1.jpg

Well, I've only run the dump pipe since the turbo was installed (+ two years ago).

Dump Pro's:
Wonderful sound
More power

Dump Con's:
Too much wonderful sound
Right foot/leg smells like exhaust

Basically, it is a sound/noise issue. The dumps at 6am don't exactly make you friends in the neighborhood. Some areas will ticket you for excessive noise. If you are taking a long trip, the sound can wear on you (earplugs are a good idea). I know, you don't normally think of a turbo'd Busa as a good touring bike, but a properly installed/tuned turbo'd Busa (thanks to Frank - Powerhouse) does make a very good daily driver.

The sound forces you to be more aware of your environment (neighbors, police, etc.)

I have entertained the idea of getting a pipe, and then, since I'd have both a pipe and the dumps (with both maps), I could put on the pipe or the dump depending upon if I wanted to go on a long trip, or just enjoy myself. At this point, I'm not sure if it would be worth the money (~$800 for pipe and map). For that money, you are getting close to intercooler range...

Good luck.

I already have the pipe so the money isn't the issue. I have two friends with turbo and dump setup and the noise and the hot,stinky leg issues are kinda annoying. I'm leaning towards the pipe.

dothe pipe now. you can always put the dumps on later.

i'm lowered 1" front, 2" back and i can scrape the dumps kinda easily. last time i touched i was doing 30mph and making a simple right hand turn.

it bothers me cause it seems like i go through a lot of turns with no problems, then sometimes when i'm not expecting it, it grinds. and it's dangerous to me cause my instinct is to straighten up, then i find myself hitting breaks, coming close to hitting a curb, going too fast and not being able to lean enough.

I'm goin dumps when I get mine done, I dont care if I have stinky foot. I'll still be a hard ass rollin up on a loud turbo busa:thumbsup:

My dumps don't seem loud at all(especially if you compare it to the average H-D)and i don't make it a habit to smell my feet so that doesn't concern me either...and after spendin' all that $ on a turbo i want people to notice it.:thumbsup:

what about using a dump, but relocate the outlet to behind the wing, in front of the tire? have a wide, downward facing dump. i've been toying with the idea myself, but lack the metal fab skills as of now.

both :) Thats what I did on my 00 turbo, got both so i can switch back and forth, but most of the time prefer full pipe. my 08 turbo just has full pipe, pretty quiet, but incredibly deep

for anyone wanting a side by side type comparison of the noise

quick video clip comparing the 2, the first clip is my full pipe with the pipe off, so close to a dump pipe, but not shaped exactly the same, but thats what it sounds like, nice and loud, and lots of turbo spoolie noise hehe.

second clip is obviously full pipe very quiet, but very basey, and very stealthy hehe.

VIDEO[/

I've a had a busa with a full akropovic exhaust and now I have a turbo with a full exhaust. I actually liked both of them. I feel If you have a N/A busa then an aftermarket full exhaust is essential. If you run a turbo then the dumps are my preference. The only downside to the dumps are they are typically loud when at idle...BUT on the open road they are quiter than an aftermarket exhaust on a stock busa. My GEN 1 busa with 155HP made more noise out at WOT than my turbo busa does at WOT....I have let friends ride my bikes in the past and these were my observations. I also wouldn't like the dated look of the big fat ass big bird can hanging off the bike of my bike...It would look much better if it was updated to something with a coned end

Last edited:
Back