duct tape to seal up an airbox?

BusaBill

Donating Member
Registered
Did the small AB mod. and I'm wondering if you guys think duct tape would work to seal the airbox where the actuator was. I was going to tape on the inside and out.

duct tape fixes anything.
beerchug.gif

NO once engine heats up tape will peel and fall off. Just silicone a pc of tin or plastic over the hole!

(BusaBill @ Mar. 15 2007,14:54) Did the small AB mod. and I'm wondering if you guys think duct tape would work to seal the airbox where the actuator was.  I was going to tape on the inside and out.
imnsho?....i would recomend..."NO!"

as i wouldn't use anything to seal up an airbox that could eventually get suxed down the throats of my T-Bodies....and through my intake valves.

But i will say that gorilla tape is some bad azz tape...but i would imagine that even the glue on that tape could be suspect to repeated cycles of high heat levels..then the glue melts and the tape slips...my advice?...take the time to do it right the first time and seal it up proper like.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

I drilled out the two rivets on the actuator that holds the two pronged metal piece on. Took the flap I removed from the airbox and cut out a circle the same size as the actuator base. Riveted the two prong metal piece on to the circle applied a little RTV to make a proper seal put it over the hole and locked it in place.

O.K., I have some high temp silicone left over from doing the exhaust so I'll do it that way. I'm almost done so I'm getting impatient! It went from about 70 to about 20 and sleeting just in time for the weekend so I have plenty of time...

Happy St. Patrick's Day!
beerchug.gif

can't you just leave the valve thing in there? I thought you just had to cut the flap portion out...maybe I have no idea what i'm talking about
all_coholic.gif

(MeatyFrank @ Mar. 16 2007,20:10) can't you just leave the valve thing in there? I thought you just had to cut the flap portion out...maybe I have no idea what i'm talking about
all_coholic.gif
wink.gif

You and me both.
I left mine in there also.

with all the wise guys
smileyexhibit.gif
on this board I knew I had to beat all you guys to it before I got
AAAssjani.gif
...HAHA!!!

(Pipefighter248 @ Mar. 16 2007,20:12)
(MeatyFrank @ Mar. 16 2007,20:10) can't you just leave the valve thing in there?  I thought you just had to cut the flap portion out...maybe I have no idea what i'm talking about
all_coholic.gif
wink.gif

You and me both.
I left mine in there also.
Well, I did BOTH! I just left my valve in there for two days..... got sick of looking at it while I was waiting for parts, took it back out, cut a round piece out of the plastic I removed from the flapper tower.... siliconed it in there! Either way is fine though.....
cool.gif

Back