Drive Chain Replaced

Powers739

Donating Member
Registered
Well, the chain was ready to be replaced (12k miles on the stock chain).  A while back I ended up buying a new stock chain off of ebay for a good price, brand new take off for around $40.  I had to order the master link, which I ordered two (wanted a spare) $5/each.  So, I had the material there for some time, I had the tools but I never replaced the chain before, so I decided to do it and take pictures to walk anyone else through it.

The whole process took less than an hour, I was just taking my time, taking pictures, probably could have been done in about 20 mintues.

Tool used:
Motion Pro Jumbo Tool
DSC07477.jpg

Micrometer
DSC07504.jpg

Dremel Tool
Safety Wire
(Chain puller - not necessary)
DSC07493.jpg

Section 6-84 through 6-87 of the manual
and the ability to read

So here is the stock master link.
DSC07470.jpg

I wanted to grind down one of the pins so it would be easier on the tool to push out.
DSC07471.jpg

DSC07473.jpg

Installed the Motion Pro Jumbo Chain Tool, with the pin extraction adapter.
DSC07475.jpg

Extracted the pin by screwing the inner threaded piece in.
DSC07474.jpg

Removed the original link, and staged the replacement chain in place to be safety wired to the origianl chain so that the chain can be rolled off and the new chain rolled on.
DSC07483.jpg

Wired together
DSC07484.jpg

DSC07485.jpg

Used the chain puller to pull (more like hold) the chain together to install the new master link.
DSC07487.jpg

New Master link and O=rings
DSC07480.jpg

DSC07492.jpg

DSC07494.jpg

DSC07496.jpg

Used the press attachement to press the connector plate on and pressed until the the width was within tolerance (21.85 - 22.15mm).
DSC07498.jpg

DSC07499.jpg

DSC07500.jpg

That's better
DSC07503.jpg

Now set the tool up to stake the joint pin, using the tool adapter and measured to ensure it's within tolerance (5.45 - 5.85mm).
DSC07507.jpg

DSC07508.jpg

DSC07510.jpg

DSC07514.jpg

DSC07516.jpg

DSC07520.jpg

DSC07521.jpg

The staked pins didn't turn out as good as I thought, I might redo, I think I was rotating the tool too much while trying to torque on the tools staking pin.

That's it. Easy with the right tools.

I just figured out that I didn't use the right piece to stake the pins...
I will know for the next time...

(Powers739 @ Sep. 05 2007,23:20) I just figured out that I didn't use the right piece to stake the pins...
I will know for the next time...
Yeah, that's what I was thinking - I didn't see the 'mushroom' adapter on there.

I hate to say it - but you may want to just continue 'pushing' the pins out and install that spare master link you have. You wouldn't want it failing on ya...

(then you can re-take the pic showing the correct adapter!
laugh.gif
)

Come to think about it - this is a really nice walk-thru... Time to 'Pin' the topic
wink.gif

That's why I bought a spare. I plan on redoing, it's a lot easier to do it right than to have a problem down the road. Cheaper too.

If I get a chance tomorrow I will take a picture of the mushrooming pin adapter and the pin properly staked, then it will be suitable for pinning. THanks, Ted

Re-do on the link staking...
Grinded the pins, used a different chain breaker (I just happened to have laying around) and repeated the process using the correct staking adpater on the tool..

DSC07522.jpg

DSC07524.jpg

DSC07532.jpg

DSC07531.jpg

beerchug.gif
Thanks Powers. Hopefully this is a sticky i'm sure I will need it next year.

Dayum i need to ride more.

No problem... if you are able to plan the change, I will be willing to loan the tools out...

Back